cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dannyV
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Is there a way to prevent McAfee from Quarantining a program?

I am trying to update an old program, but each time I try to run the executable McAfee kicks in and just deleted the executable. The program is originally written in Delphi, and I know McAfee has a poor reputation with regard to this coding platform (giving more false positives than is acceptable for commercial software like this). However, to update my code I actually need to be able to run and test it.

So is there a way to put the program in a whitelist? Or is the only solution, removing McAfee altogether?

Best

Danny 

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is there a way to prevent McAfee from Quarantining a program?

---

--Hello,

This old post may help as it still works for many:  https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Malware/What-To-Do-When-McAfee-Detects-Software-As-An-Infection-How-...

---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---

dannyV
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, as I am not a commercial company they will not even look into a claim. In the mean time McAfee seems to have nested itself into all my browsers without asking (as a piece of malware), and I had to kill it's real-time protection as it was just eating up 100% of my disc usage (without anything else running)...I'll just have to find some time to remove the McAfee virus...brings back the good old days. :'(

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

---

--If you submit a sample the labs will get back to you after they've finished analysing it.  Use GetSusp after un-quarantining whatever it is but make sure your email address is inserted in the Preferences so they know who to get back to..

As far as McAfee being a virus , that is absurd, it just won awards as the perfect security software.   Perhaps you should blame the stuff you are installing/downloading/file sharing, or whatever.

The browser add-on is WebAdvisor (aka SiteAdvisor) and can be disabled at any time.

If you want to to remove the software altogether use the normal method first (Control Panel > Programs and Features), then use the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot afterwards.  Everything will be gone.

---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Previous post updated to include links to help locate things.

Highlighted
dannyV
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

I'll look into the Getsusp thing later, thanks for the link.

Wrt the "award winning" nonsense, please don't overreact. The behaviour of McAfee would perfectly constitute as the behaviour of a virus/mallware program:

* installing intself in your browser without permission

* switching on features which were switched off (again without permission)

* hogging resources (CPU and disc)

* scaremongering (The ideal technique for letting people instal mallware is claiming there computer is infected or under severe thread without the help of your software...McAfee seems to be doing the same thing with the "blocked attacks")

* not possible to uninstall (cf. your own remark for the need of a cleanup-tool)

These are all the features of the viruses I had to clean up a decade ago. I am well aware of what I install, and very much aware of what I program myself (so also rather critical with regard to the quality of "commercial" software), so please do not give me the nonsence that I am someone just installing downloading whatever comes by. 

Best regards,

Danny

PS: I discovered there seems to be a whitelist-option hidden somewhere in McAfee, and added my program.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community