cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invisible McAfee Window

Hello, the computers that have this problem are Vista (Latest SP) and they are running Security 11.6.  Both computers didn't have this problem until it recently updated to Security Center 11.6, along with the Firewall, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, and QuickClean getting updated.

What happens is that when I plug in a USB flashdrive, it use to have a McAfee popup in the bottom right hand corner of the screen asking if I want to scan or not.  However, that window didn't show up.  It wasn't until I moused over that part of the screen did I see my arrow become the clicking hand.  The same thing happened when I would do a scan, usually once the scan is done it would display small details about the scan and give me the choice to "view scan details" or "close".  Again, I moused over and noticed the same thing.  I mean the window not showing for the scan results is fine as it will disappear if I hit "done" on the main McAfee window.

The one that is bothering me is that I was trying to update a program and the program wouldn't run.  Again, I checked the bottom corner and there was the clicking hand showing up.  I managed to get the program through because I remember that the options were always "Allow Always", "Allow Once", "Outgoing Only" and "Block".  So I had to manual move my mouse slowly until it became an arrow again meaning that I pass one option and I was able to select the Allow Once option.

So how do I fix this, I mean my McAfee has been working just fine before the update to the newest version of the Security Center.  I have another computer but that computer didn't receive the update to 11.6 and it doesn't have this problem.

I mean it would really be messed up if McAfee had changed the order of the options or the wording.  This would mean that if I was trying to select Allow Once, but it was swapped with Outgoing Only that would be dangerous to the users.

I am hoping McAfee has a fix for this because it was working before.

If there is any additional information needed, my alerts for completed scans and USB drive is marked as display.  My Firewall settings has been the same as before, the Traffic Controller level is set to Stealth and the Intrusion Protection isn't turn on (it was like this after the update).

0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Invisible McAfee Window

One other user reported similar issues and she had SpywareBlaster installed plus her Firewall was in Stealth Mode.  This combination causes popups to disappear.   Try altering Personal Firewall to Smart Access or uninstall SpywareBlaster if installed to see if that helps.

If you don't have that programme check what other security programmes you have installed and list them here.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/09/12 5:32:30 EDT AM
0 Kudos

The only other security program I have is Malwarebytes (Free Edition, no real time scanning).  Why would setting the Firewall to Stealth Mode cause this?  The description of Stealth Mode is that it hides my computer from others.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I was simply reporting what another user had recently posted in a similar case.

It's probably best that you contact Technical Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

They probabloy could sort it out pretty quickly and they are available free of charge via telephone or online chat.

0 Kudos
karthiks
Level 12

Hi,

Do you have the same issue reported Here . Thanks,

0 Kudos

Yes, my problems seems to be similar.  I also don't see the McAfee popups when it asks for my permission to allow or not allow programs access the internet as well as not having the popup show up anymore when I finish a scan or have an USB device plugged in.

Based on what I read in that topic, I do have a wireless logitech mouse that I used before.  However, I don't use the mouse that often but I do still have the program that came with the mouse.

0 Kudos
karthiks
Level 12

Hi,

Could you please update what is the program name that came with that Logitech Mouse. Thanks,

0 Kudos

All I remember is the program was installed 4 years ago.  In the both right corner if I click on it, it says Mouse and Keyboard Settings.  In my All Programs, it is displayed a Logitech Mouse and Keyboard Settings. Or at least that is what I remember.

The program just lets me program what each button on my mouse does.

0 Kudos
karthiks
Level 12

Hi,

Can you try reinstalling the Mcafee from Here, and check you are able to see the alerts of McAfee. Thanks,

0 Kudos

No offense, but why do I have to reinstall my software and from another region?

0 Kudos