Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starmatze
Level 7

Internet Security 2010 - Installation problem

Jump to solution

Hello!

Just downloaded the new update of Internet Security 2010. De-installaton of 2009s version has been conducted via system control panel > "software" > de-install. Subsequently I used the "McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool" (as administrator) to remove all related files of 2009s version.

Logfile of the removal tool is also ok (pls. see below)

May 16, 2010 14:09:51
INFO   Cleanup finished running using Task Scheduler.
PASS   The products have been successfully removed.

Reboot has been conducted.

When I now execute the DMSetup.exe, it starts up with the usual pop-up window, checks the available download and then remains in the pop-up window.....but nothin happens.....the McAfee headline can be seen, the rest of the window remains white and you can also see, that something's working in the beackground, but also after several minutes of waiting nothing happens.

Already checked my registry, used the removal tool coupla times.....but actually I have no further clue / idea what could be the cause.

Could anybody help? - Screenshot is attached!

btw.: Using Windows Vista 6.0 SP 2.

Thanks & regards,

Matthias

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
k3tg
Level 14

Re: Internet Security 2010 - Installation problem

Jump to solution

Do a uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot. Run the MCPR removal tool again and reboot. Then try the McAfee preinstall tool that I attached before you attempt to reinstall the McAfee software again. Let us know if you continue to have issues.

Message was edited by: k3tg on 5/16/10 12:12:20 PM EDT
0 Kudos
12 Replies
kumar_B
Level 10

Jump to solution

Hi this is kumar

are u using windows xp or vista ?

just open the Microsoft  Internet explorer (Browser ) and at the very top of the internet explorer  u'll have the menu options like  FILE , EDIT , FAVORITES , TOOLS , HELP (IF NOT PRESS F10 IN the top row of YOUR KEYBOARD) click "HELP " > go to the last option "About internet explorer " there u can find the  internet explorer  version , cipher strength , product id ,  These should have some values

Message was edited by: kumaravel on 5/16/10 11:09:21 AM CDT
0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

Jump to solution

Do a uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot. Run the MCPR removal tool again and reboot. Then try the McAfee preinstall tool that I attached before you attempt to reinstall the McAfee software again. Let us know if you continue to have issues.

Message was edited by: k3tg on 5/16/10 12:12:20 PM EDT
0 Kudos
starmatze
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Tom!

Thanks a lot....you got the point. Everything works fine now! 

*** Sometimes the bug's sitting in front of the notebook! ***

Thanks & regards,

Matthias

0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

Jump to solution

Matthias,

Glad to hear you are up and running now

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Out of interest was the fix the file or a reinstall?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I had exactly the same problem with installing McAfee Security Centre after having renewed my subscription: click on "download", but then: white screen, absolutely nothing happening. The solution was to completely uninstall the entire McAfee program, run the suggested pre-installation program  (McPreinstall.exe.zip - see below in the message from K3tg), then return to the McAfee account page for the download, but this time not using Firefox, but using Internet Explorer. The download and installation then proceeded normally, without any further problems.

My comment on this incredibly laborious, tedious process: why on earth does it have to be so COMPLICATED to renew one's subscription to McAfee? And why isn't the information (above) provided by McAfee on the download page? If you want to alienate your customers and drive them to other anti-virus software providers, then this is a very good method!

Wilmersdorfer2010

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

This is not normal practice sometimes IE gets messed up. I have never myself run ieregfix or the preinstall tool and never had an install failure and as a mod i usually uninstall regulurly. I have got 8 PCs running it throughout my extended family. That said it does happen though most users just get their version auto updated .

Good luck for the future use of Mcafee.

0 Kudos
starmatze
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Kumar,

on my notebook I got Internet Explorer 7.0......but my common and preferrably used webbrowser is Mozilla Firefox. Currently installed version is 3.5.9.

Sadly the issue is still not fixed. I also tried the McAfee virtual technician. Without success. It fixed 3 of 5 issues. Open issues are (...see screenshot...sorry, in german):

• "No possibility to download data from McAfee-server"
  • "Problem: Kindly erase your temporary internet files"

From my point of view I do not understand where these issues are caused. I'm obviously connected to the web without any prob's and the temporary internet files I erased about 3 times already. So this points should be fine.

I really do not understand what's going on. Any promising hints are highly appreciated! ;-)

Cheers, Matthias

0 Kudos
kumar_B
Level 10

Jump to solution

Just try the following link : "http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/IERegFix.bat" This tool is called IEREGFIX.BAT  which will try to fix the issues with internet explorer

Message was edited by: kumaravel on 5/16/10 11:32:58 AM CDT
0 Kudos