cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Security 2008 OEM Activation / Registration problems

Hi,

I am a computer technician, and recentley (in the last few months) I have had difficulty registering / activating Internet Security 2008 OEM. When entering the users details and clicking next, the activation process attempts to start, the progress bar moves back and forth across the screen and then returns an error. I dont recall exactly what the error states but can contact one of my clients if required. The error basically states that the process can not be completed at that time, and to try again later.

For some clients, I was able to create an account on the mcafee website, then log in sucsesfully for activation. For some clients, this doesn't work.

Does anyone have a solution to this, I have about 5 clients who are still suffering from this issue, and with 30 days, they will no longer be able to update their definitions etc. Does this have anything to do with updating at the time of install rather than installing from CD, activating, then updating? as I see parts of the new product are begining to be installed.

Thanks for any help. I am a bit reluctanct to continue installing McAfee at the moment on clients computers because of this problem.

Kind Regards
-Neil Young
3 Replies

RE: Internet Security 2008 OEM Activation / Registration problems

This is normally an access error.
Try pinging download.mcafee.com - If you are not able to - Edit the hosts file..

Sorry for the delay in responding. These are brand new computers. The hosts file is clean. The machines are clean, no viruses / malware etc. I have found recently that creating an account via the McAfee website and then logging in when activating works eventually. I'm hoping that McAfee Internet Security 2009 has this issue resolved.

Does anyone have any further ideas? I still have several 2008 OEM discs to ship with my computers ...

Many thanks
-Neil

Try this

Double-click My Computer.
Double-click the C: drive.
Right-click the Sysprep folder and choose Rename.
Rename the Sysprep folder to OLDsysprep.
Close Windows Explorer.
Right-click the M icon in your taskbar, and select Register or Register Now.
Follow the on-screen instructions.
Want to ask a question?
    Many members like to perform a search first. Many questions have already been asked and answered. However, to ask a question, first select a forum then Start a Topic. You must sign in first or log in with your existing credentials. McAfee Service Portal customers please use your existing username and password.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community