cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dharmafool
Level 7

I want to renew, but --

I am running SC 8.0 and need to renew soon. I see a McAfee "Total Security" product available for $39.95, while SC 9.0 is currently $69.95 for one year. I need protection for only one computer, and I figure I will upgrade to a new computer in less than a year. Should I renew and get Security Center 9.0 or go with Total Security and save $30?

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

RE: I want to renew, but --

Where is the $69.95 item from? If it were my choice I'd go with Total Protection for 50% off at $39.99 valid for 3 PC's.
http://home.mcafee.com/Default.aspx
0 Kudos
dharmafool
Level 7

Ahh, I'm seeing the setup now. The system I'm running (which is actually version 9.3) comes through Dell Computer. I guess it's "optimized" for Dell machines. As best I can tell, Dell's McAfee site doesn't make the Total Protection product available to me as a renewing customer.

I guess I'm confused about whether it's risky for me to move from Security Center to Total Protection. Should this be a seamless conversion if I download? Do I uninstall Security Center first?
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Dell and other suppliers rename and rebrand McAfee for their own purposes but the drawback with using their protection is that you may not get the latest available until quite a while after it's been released by McAfee to the general public.
I would subscribe directly with McAfee if I was paying and had the choice.

If you do choose to switch I would uninstall everything and use the cleanup tool, linked in my signature (MCPR), reboot and then install.
0 Kudos
dharmafool
Level 7

Thank you, Peter, for straight talk and excellent assistance.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You're welcome.
0 Kudos