I have following McAfee components aftermost recent update (Dt:2/21/2010) through my ISP COMCAST:
information dervied from 'Security Center-->about' pop up:
* Security Center: Ver 9.15, Last update: 2/17/2010
* VirusScan: Ver13.15, Last Update: 3/21/2010, Dat Version: 5927.0000, Dat Creation Date: 3/21/2010
* Personal Firewall: Ver 10.15, Last Update:11/20/2009
* Parental Controls: Ver 11.15, Last Update: 10/1/2009
* Backup and Restore: Ver 3.15, Last Update: 10/11/2008
I belive every now and then I see the 'check protection status' message. When I go to security center
to initail a autofix I see the message detection signature file is 30 days old. Not sure if there is a virus
thats overwriting the signature file, because I certainlt have seen the same message couple of days ago
and has corected through an update auto-fix . McAfee virsu scan returns clean wihtout any threat.
Is the VIRUS SCAN dat creation date above implies the 'detection signature file date'?
If so I probably have to wath the date now and then. If not where can I see the 'detection signature file date'?
2. Assuming there is a virus that overwrites the 'detection signature file date' how to check for this virus/malware?
If McAfee Updates displays No Update are available and If the updates fail continuously Double-clicking the icon will open McAfee SecurityCenter which will report the problem:. Your signature files are more than 30 days old.
To receive all updates automatically please check the following steps:
*Ensure that the system date and time are correct
*Check and delete if you have any other security software in control panel as well their file & folders in C:/program files & common files.
*Open Internet explorer and click tools – click internet options
*Click connections tab, under LAN settings make sure that your are not under a proxy connection.
Do report back if you unable to update the signature files .
McAfee Community Moderator