cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tibema
Level 7

Help needed: Scan freezes Laptop

Hi everybody,

if it's the wrong thread - please put it to the right one, but I'm new and not so comfortable yet!

I have a big problem with the laptop of my wife, It's a new Acer V3-771g with Windows 8. Since the start we have trouble with the scan from McAfee Anti Virus Plus:

It runs and then suddenly the whole computer freezes - the only way of ending is a total shutdown of the laptop with the on/off- button.

No taskmanager, nothing helps.

i did a chkdsk but nothing found, somebody able to help?

I know from research that people who had the same problem could find a special file which blocked the scan, but I am not keen enough with systems to do the same.

Does somebody know what may help?

Update something?

My licence ends in Dezember and in worst case I'll have to finish off McAfee on the laptop of my wife and start with something new... Would be a pity becouse I have three other devices with no problems and i am customer since years...

Greetings from tibema of Germany

0 Kudos
4 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Help needed: Scan freezes Laptop

It's possible it's freezing on a zipped file but Technical Support would have to check that, they are free to phone or use online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

First try running the Virtual Technician to make sure the software is OK.  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help try uninstalling McAfee via Control Panel > Programs and Features

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

If that doesn't help then try Technical Support.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

By the way, when you ran chkdsk I hope it was with the /r modifier as that corrects errors -  chkdsk /r

0 Kudos
tibema
Level 7

hi,thanx for the fast reply. the virtual technician found no problems. sorry, forgot that to write in the first step.w Will try the chkdsk/r the next days. then uninstall and reinstalling. when i did that last time i had some trouble with the licence counter. could you describe the steps in logical order please? sorry for the layout - i am with the mobilr phone online. .. greetings tibema

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

The uninstallation via Control Panel should decrement the account automatically but if you are out 1 license then phone (or use the online chat) Customer Service to have them free one up.  The link is under Useful Links at the top of the page also.

0 Kudos