cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nova98
Level 7

Help!!! Multiple problems!!!

Hi. Hopefully someone can help me. First, about every 2 minutes I get a pop-up message that says "McAfee Personal Firewall has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Secondly, when I go to the Security Center and click "scan" it gets hung up for a few minutes and then I get a pop-up that says "Virius on Demand Scan has encountered a problem and needs to close". Then all the details in the Security Center say all the different kinds of scans have been disabled.

Thirdly, whenever I click on a website I get a pop up that says the following-For example, on the cnn.com website: "Security Warning- The current web page is trying to open a site in your Trusted Sites list. Do you want to allow this?" Then it says: "Current site: http://ads.cnn.com' & below that it says 'Trusted site: res://ieframe.dll". This is happening for every single website & is quite annoying. Why is this happening all of a sudden?

Finally, the internet & the entire processing time when opening & closing programs is extremely slow. Something is seriously wrong-I can't figure out what.

After reading various threads on this message board I tried removing the McAfee progam through "my computer", I ran MCPR.exe file & reinstalled McAfee and I still am having the same problems. This is very frustrating. I don't know if this is the best place to post this message but I thought I'd start here. Somebody please help!! Thanks in advance!!!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
BastiaanR
Level 7

RE: Help!!! Multiple problems!!!

When McAfee was removed from your system, did you still have problems opening websites etc. ?
0 Kudos
Nova98
Level 7

Hi. It will open websites but I get that pop-up regarding a trusted site every single time I go to a website or refresh. In fact, once I click "submit reply" when making this post it will ask me then as well. This only started after I uninstalled & reinstalled McAFee.
0 Kudos
BastiaanR
Level 7

You will get the pop-up you mention, when the website(s) in question is in the Trusted Websites List.

- open Internet Explorer
- click Tools
- click Internet Options
- open tab Security
- select the zone Trusted Sites
- click the button Sites

If you find the pop-ups annoying, clear the website(s) from the list.
0 Kudos
Nova98
Level 7

Thanks for the help. Any idea on how to fix the personal firewall or scan errors that keep popping up? The Personal Firewall and Scan messages constantly pop up and I fear they are not working properly (if at all). Thanks again in advance.
0 Kudos
BastiaanR
Level 7

I think the PC may be infected. Just to be sure, could you do a scan with the following programs?:
1. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
2. SUPERantispyware FREE: http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
0 Kudos
Nova98
Level 7

Thanks for the links. I am installing & running the SUPERantispyware FREE now. What should I do when it is done running? Do I have to pay for the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware? If so, why do I need to pay for this program in addition to McAfee? Shouldn't McAfee Have caught the virus in the first place?
0 Kudos
BastiaanR
Level 7

Both programs (SUPERantispyware and MBAM) have a paid and a free version. You can keep using the free version, if you wish to do so.

No program can catch all virusses, malware, etc. - which is the reason it may be a good idea to (sometimes) scan with other programs too. Both MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware seem to get good reviews, and a lot of forums point to these two programs when trying to help to get rid of an infection.

Personally, I use both of these programs as well, in combination with McAfee VirusScan 8.0i Enterprise.
0 Kudos

Re: RE: Help!!! Multiple problems!!!

on 5/30/10 8:07:43 AM CDT
0 Kudos