cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Statue111
Level 7

Got a virus for sure - SC 9.0 can't detect it - what do I do?

Hello Ya'all:

I just definately got a virus - I received an email from UPS, indicating a package that I shipped wasn't delivered. I did ship a package that day that was very important. The email which looked absolutely authentic, had what it claimed was a scanned image of the information. It was in a zip file. I opened the zip file, there was an executable inside. I opened the executable, a warning went off in another program (not McAfee) that the executable was trying to open Microsoft Word. I allowed it. Word didn't open, and the attachment spontaneously self-deleted. I ran SC9.0 on the zip file - it could not detect anything. I re-unzipped the file, and scanned the executable - SC9.0 could still not detect anything. I contacted UPS - they said it was definately a virus, and they knew about it, but did not know how to get rid of it.

What do I do? I'm concerned about my personal information...

Lance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dinz
Level 16

Re: Got a virus for sure - SC 9.0 can't detect it - what do I do?

Hi,

This seems to be a latest outbreak. This document would help you send suspected new viruses to the McAfee Virus Research Laboratory.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100001&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777219&turl...

Thanks,

Dinesh K

0 Kudos
Lancey
Level 7

Hello Dinesh:

I emailed the Virus to McAfee labs as indicated in the link, thank you. I tried another virus checker - Avira - it could not detect it either. I emailed the virus to Avira's virus labs - it is a brand new virus never seen before - they are calling it BDS/Bredolab.AE.1 - It's not listed on McAfee's site (There are other Bredolab viruses listed, but not this variant). Avira does not yet know what the virus does or how to get rid of it. Hopefully, McAfee Labs (with years more experience) can shed some light on it. I couldn't get back in with the same login, and it won't reset my password - don't know why...So far, there's no obvious virus symptoms - I don't see any unusual ethernet activity, and the apps seem fine. I know it modified something in the registry related to Windows Explorer.

Lance

0 Kudos
Lancey
Level 7

Hello Ya'all:

I just received a really fast response from McAfee Virus Labs. They say also it is a new virus, and sent me an outboard .dat file that can be used to detect it. Otherwise they say it will be included in a future update...

Lance

0 Kudos