cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall blocking Apple TV

Hi, hope someone can help.

I recently installed McAfee and it seems to be blocking my Apple TV from syncing with iTunes on my Windows operating system. It was giving me a port 3689 error. I contacted McAfee support and they suggested to go to the McAfee SecurityCenter click on Internet & Network > Configure > Firewall Advanced Options > System Services and add Apple TV with 3689 in both the Local TCP/IP Ports and UDP Ports.

But I still can't sync. Any ideas?

Thanks.
5 Replies

RE: Firewall blocking Apple TV

Could you explain in detail on how the devices are setup in your network?

Addendum:

McAfee SecurityCenter click on Internet & Network > Configure > Firewall Advanced Options > System Services
Under system services click Add and specify the following:( you may edit the newly created one)
Program name (iTunes Sharing), Inbound TCP/IP ports (3689), Outbound TCP/IP ports (3689), Inbound UDP ports (5353), Outbound UDP ports (5353).

RE: Firewall blocking Apple TV

Hi vinod_r2,

Please keep in mind that I'm not a tech guy, so I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'll try.

My iTunes is on a Dell desktop that runs on XP and is connected directly to a wireless Motorola router. My apple tv is wireless also connecting through the router. When I try to sync the itunes and apple tv, I'm getting an error code to open a communication port 3689.

I hope this is what you need. Please ask if you need more information to diagnose the problem.

Thanks.

Re: RE: Firewall blocking Apple TV

Wondering how/if you ever got this fixed... I have the same problem....

Highlighted

Re: RE: Firewall blocking Apple TV

Hi Anthony,

This was some time ago, so I don't exactly remember how I did it.  I believe I was able to manage network from the McAfee Security Center and somehow allow the appletv.  I'm sorry I don't have more info for you.

alex

YOGA*
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 6

Re: Firewall blocking Apple TV

Hi,

How many computers you have ?

Is itunes and Apple TV on the same computer ?

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community