cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 71 of 265

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Are you having posting problems most of these posts should be added to original post. So you are not seeing the edit option?

If so and you are logged in April (Community Manager) better look into this.

This is the problem ony 10000 views and I wonder how many contacted chat. The more chat contacts the better it moves the the ladder faster.

That said I gathered MER logs from at least 4 users myself included and sent those off 3 weeks or so ago. They are being analysed. Still plenty of XP users. My daughter has 2 XP PCs and they are running fine the issue seems not to affect every1 the same. My replaced files are screensavers so no issue that shows up for me.

No they do not want people to leave far from it though the slow response is unfortunate.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 16/08/11 6:38:50 AM
enmerkar
Level 7
Message 72 of 265

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper wrote:

Are you having posting problems most of these posts should be added to original post.

What do you mean?

Peacekeeper wrote:

So you are not seeing the edit option?

Only for a short time after posting.

Peacekeeper wrote:

If so and you are logged in April (Community Manager) better look into this.

Well, I'd rather she looked into the thread topic to be frank.

So many replies... so little progress.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 73 of 265

Jump to solution

I was asking whether you had the edit option showing it should be there all the time

enmerkar
Level 7
Message 74 of 265

Jump to solution

How long would you be happy to wait for without any security software while your paid subscription goes to waste?

Jump to solution

If I was cynical, I would wonder if McAfee ignores folks hoping that they will get fed up and move on to another Internet Security provider.

That's what I have done and perhaps you are almost there too.

But while I have some subscription left, I intend to post in this thread.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 76 of 265

Jump to solution

Greens wrote:

Thnka Peter.  I do have SP3 on my computer and all is updated (just got more updates from Windows last night).  It's just a matter of streamlining SP3 onto my SP2 disk.  The dougknox site says that it will not work for Windows Media Center edition.  I didn't notice that on the lifehacker link.  Do you know if I will be able to streamline SP3 onto my MCE SP2 disk, supplied by Dell using the lifehacker link? 

Here's another link - a long thread but maybe worth a read:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itproxpsp/thread/8546f297-9781-422b-b53e-4f283e6b13...

JuanMercado, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will answer your question.

Jump to solution
JuanMercado, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will answer your question

I hope help.

Jump to solution

Hi enmerkar

If I were in your position, I would do this...

1) Disable McAfee real time scanning

2) Download XP SP3 from MS

3) Uninstall SP3 from your PC (from "Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs" - to roll you back to SP2

4) Use "sfc /purgecache" then "sfc /scannow" to repopulate your DLLCache folder and get you back to a stable PC (you may be prompted for the CD - but you have that)

5) Re-install SP3 - during that process it will update the DLLCache for you with new system files

6) Do a Windows Update to get the very latest updates to SP3

and finally...

7) Keep checking here to see how little McAfee feedback there is until (a) Your subscription runs out or (b) You decide to install another free or paid for security suite that does not destory your PC

enmerkar
Level 7
Message 79 of 265

Jump to solution

blarty-fargo,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I only have about a dozen missing .dll files (which fortunately don't seem to be critical), and it'd take hours to go through that whole process and may potentially create unforeseen problems.

I wonder whether I could fix this by asking someone to upload the files, so I could just copy them into the folder.

These are the missing files according to SFC:

c:\program files\windows media player\mplayer2.exe

c:\program files\windows media player\npdrmv2.dll

c:\program files\windows media player\wmpns.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ehcircl.dll

c:\windows\ehome\zh-chs\ehepgdat.resources.dll

c:\windows\ehome\fr\ehepgdat.resources.dll

c:\windows\ehome\de\ehepgdat.resources.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ja\ehepgdat.resources.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ko\ehepgdat.resources.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ehiepg.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ehituner.dll

c:\windows\ehome\ehtray.exe

c:\windows\ehome\snchk.exe

Would anyone be kind enough to copy and paste these into a folder and upload it for me? I'd appreciate it.

I will be boycotting McAfee software from now on.

Greens
Level 9
Message 80 of 265

Jump to solution

I've been reading through and posting to this thread for the past few days.  I just figured out how to see what needed replaced when I ran scannow and discovered that I am missing the same files that you are missing.  the other problems that I've mentioned in other posts are that I get WFP errors when running Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware.  I've noticed logs in the event viewer of various files not being verified because WFP was shutting down when I've restarted the computer.  It could be one or many files.  I'm running MCE 2002 SP3 and have an OEM CD with SP2 so I haven't even tried to copy files.  It's beyond my capabilities.  Anyway, my system seems to be running ok in spite of everything.  I never use media center but that's what the missing files are for.  Just as a test, I opened it up and was able to view my pictures and play  my music so I don't know what to think.  I just hope McAfee comes up with a fix for us because I will have to hire someone to fix the mess if the system fails.  I found it interesting that you and I are missing the same files.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community