cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper wrote:

I assume you are sayng the issue is still there?

As I explained earlier in the thread; since the problem started I have had Updates and Real-Time Scanning disabled to prevent further damage being caused, until McAfee fixes the software. Disabling Updates and Real-Time Scanning stopped any further damage being caused, therefore I didn't uninstall McAfee, and have been waiting for over two months for McAfee to fix the software and announce it on the thread. I haven't performed an update or a scan for two and half months - waiting for McAfee to announce they've fixed the software on this thread. Nothing has been communicated here by McAfee to say they've fixed the malfunction.

I don't know if the problem is still there, I don't know if it's safe to update, I don't know if it's safe to scan, I don't know how to replace the files McAfee software deleted and corrupted, I don't know what if anything McAfee is doing to fix the problem. Total neglect by McAfee, total lack of communication by McAfee, total lack of respect by McAfee. What kind of a company is this? Why should any of us ever use McAfee software again?

This question keeps being ignored - What has McAfee done to fix the problem? That question alone is what this thread is concerned with.

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

The issue was "fixed" for a number of people with a recent update that was released to address a file property issue other users were suffering. Apparently with that update, people stopped getting the WFP errors. Some now have the svchost.exe warnings about untrusted or unsigned code. Enmerkar, my guess is if you let McAfee update to whatever the build version is now.. I think it's 11.0.608 for SecurityCenter, it might finally work for you. You could get the svchost.exe warnings other people are having. I'm not having those, so maybe it's worth a shot.

Regardless, it appears McAfee's investigation into this stopped when it was "accidentally fixed" and no explanations were provided. Given that McAfee's software was at fault and they put users through a lot of misery for over 3 months, McAfee should complete their investigation of the bug and confirm to us what the unexplained system changes were that triggered WFP warnings and whether any damage occurred from it. That might actually put customers at ease and show that McAfee is responsible and cares about quality assurance. I think it's more than clear that no one saw these warnings and effects in product testing because McAfee was probably run on Windows XP on a virtual machine within Windows Vista or 7, which is where the error has never been seen.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 253 of 265

Jump to solution

I do not think it is "fixed" I will however chase this up in our Monday's call

rabbit2
Level 7
Message 254 of 265

Jump to solution

Dinz

Aff ID found at Navigation\About = 0-1263. Remember, I system restored and am still at SC version 10.5.247 so don't currently see a problem.

Dinz
Level 16
Message 255 of 265

Jump to solution

Hi boomboomer,

Sorry for the confusion here ,  the last phone  call that you received was  from a senior tech (my colleague) as requested by me to collect some logs.  As I have posted on the earlier posts , from the error message ; we all know the Files that are required for Windows has be replaced , but the task is we have no other information (effective  enough ) to understand the timestamp of when it was changed or what file has been modified/ or which program has modified it. Hence, we are in the situation to find out the same with the help of logs from certain interested users who could help us on that. Unfortunately, since you aren’t comfortable with remote set up with tech support , I would appreciate if you please monitor this thread so as in the meantime we work with other users to whom we have a call back scheduled to collect logs and we shall be updating this thread with more information as we get ,

Thanks  for your patience and understanding .

Regards,

Jump to solution

Dinesh…I am confused by your comments. They suggest that the “source” of this problem is known but not the “cause” & yet many of us are reporting that the “error” appears to have disappeared (see gvr39’s post of 26/9/11 9:48 A.M.), which is most troubling as it suggests that a “Band-Aid” solution of some sort has been implemented without a full understanding of the problem….which can only lead to further problems.

Please correct me if I am wrong or inform us, officially, that a “ fix” has been implemented (if you’re still investigating, that doesn’t seem plausible). Please & Thanks. GB.

Reliable Contributor
Message 257 of 265

Jump to solution

I asked this and No there is no fix they are gathering data. There is a possibility that the file property fix helped but I will have to fire up my XP test PC and monitor the event viewer

ScottA
Level 7
Message 258 of 265

Jump to solution

Came down to my computer yesterday morning and saw McAfee had an update available so clicked on the blue"Update now" button.  After the update I found I could no longer type anything into any field or text box on a webpage in IE 8 . Also found I could not run a web based program because I would get the following error  "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed".  After some Googling on the subject I ended up reinstalling IE 8 and uninstalled Windows Installer 3.1 and installed Windows Installer 4.5.  Both problems now fixed.

Perhaps McAfee update had nothing to do with it, but what a coincidence.  Unfortunately I had not used computer that morning prior to clicking on the update so I don't know if the problem existed prior to the update.  I do know that when I went to bed the night before I did not have those problems.

Luckily this happened on my auxillary computer that I use to run just a few programs on, but nonetheless it took  2 hrs of my time to fix.   It is a dual Athlon computer with XP sp3.   After the upgrade of McAfee Antivirus Plus it reports VirusScan Ver 15. Build 15.0.291 Last update 9/29/2011  Dat Ver 6483.  DAT Creation date 9/28/2011.

Windows Installer error message link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346   I used Method 2

Windows Installer 4.5 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8483

IE 8 download http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8

Message was edited by: ScottA on 9/29/11 11:27:47 PM CDT

Message was edited by: ScottA on 9/29/11 11:30:00 PM CDT

Jump to solution

Hi, I've only just found this thread, after ages spent trying to sort this out when it first surfaced.  At the time, I put it down to a possible accidental invocation of an AOL icon on my desktop, and after abysmal failure to uninstall AOL, my solution was to use MSConfig to select "Selective Startup" and  with the Service: "AOL Connectivity Service" disabled, and the Startup: AOL 9.0 Tray Icon, AOLDial, and AOLSoftware disabled, the problem message did not appear.  The downside to this arangement was having to confirm the selective startup each time. 

Since finding this thread, this afternoon, and with McAfee Internet Security 11.0.623 update, I have reselected Normal Startup (with the AOL components, despite my misgivings), and so far the results for my Dell PC running Win XP SP3 are promising, after just one reboot, admittedly.

(For my Notebook PC - also XP SP3 -, the update from 11.0.60x to 11.0.623 didn't go well, and now the Device Manager shows that "McAfee Core NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport" errors prevent any network port(wired or wireless) from working, even in Safe Mode, and MCPR cannot Uninstall McAfee, so that is a big disappointment as it looks like the entire PC will need to be re-imaged.  If anyone has a less distressing recovery scheme, please let me know.).  I used to feel resentful how much of my PC time McAfee consumed; now it is my personal time that is hurting.

Andy

Reliable Contributor
Message 260 of 265

Jump to solution

Asking the techs for comment