cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micham
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 181 of 265

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Hi,
things have improved a lot for me (compare to my post on Sep 12, 2011 4:20 PM).
I am now on newer version SecurityCenter 11.0.586, else unchanged WinXP Pro SP3 with all patches, McAfee AntiVirus Plus 15.0.291, and no other security / malware checking software.
For the last 3 days:

- no more winlogon.exe excessive processor or memory usage, and also number of 'I/O Write Bytes' is now low.

- no more "The protected system file xxx could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating" entties in Event Log since 9/14 (note that I completely shutdown my laptop each evening).

- A scheduled scan over 60 GB (97,000 files) ran through in 6 hours. (But I had my large VMware virtual disk and encrypted container files excluded... by excluding one complete drive and one complete folder with all its subdirectories on another drive, not the way I want it to be.)

If now maybe the file/folder exclusion option of Scheduled Scan could be improved, to either allow multi-selection of files, or folder exclusion *without* also excluding all its subfolders, or both!

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Add that as an idea in the ideas forum part of the community

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 21/09/11 7:16:58 AM

Jump to solution

I received a direct e-mail from someone with with McAfee Community forums. They wish to know if the problem is still happening (it is) and wish to arrange a call to me about the problem.

Is that a fairly standard practice?

Jump to solution

Yes, go for it.

supergeek
Level 7
Message 185 of 265

Jump to solution

Um, boomboomer, I'd be careful. You could be getting scammed by someone who just wants to connect to your computer. I wonder if there's a way to verify that this person is a real technician and is trustworthy?

Dinz
Level 16
Message 186 of 265

Jump to solution

Hi boomboomer,

That mail was from me  . Yes, if you still experience the same issue, please have the mail replied so as we could help you get this resolved .

Regards,

supergeek
Level 7
Message 187 of 265

Jump to solution

Oh good. Disregard my post then. lol

Jump to solution

Thanks Dinesh!

I did reply to the e-mail.

rasher
Level 7
Message 189 of 265

Jump to solution

I have the same issue and I'm on XP SP2, it started after a McAfee update requiring a restart a few days ago. On boot up Windows Protection appears. If I restart everything seems to be OK until McAfee does something, I haven't been able to identify if its when it checks for updates or its actually updating. Anyway a restart once again resolves the issue. Interestingly a shut down and start doesn't have the same affect as a restart which led me to be believe I'm mad because I thought the two were the same! But thats what happens on my system and it appears repeatable. I run a Vista machine too and thats OK. I haven't been that bothered as someone else is main user and it seems OK and stays OK after restarts but I'd have expected a fix by now.

Jump to solution

rasher wrote:

I have the same issue and I'm on XP SP2, it started after a McAfee update requiring a restart a few days ago. On boot up Windows Protection appears. If I restart everything seems to be OK until McAfee does something, I haven't been able to identify if its when it checks for updates or its actually updating. Anyway a restart once again resolves the issue. Interestingly a shut down and start doesn't have the same affect as a restart which led me to be believe I'm mad because I thought the two were the same! But thats what happens on my system and it appears repeatable. I run a Vista machine too and thats OK. I haven't been that bothered as someone else is main user and it seems OK and stays OK after restarts but I'd have expected a fix by now.

SP2 isn't supported by Microsoft since July 13, 2010 which means you are mssing all kinds of security updates (see HERE) so it might improve matters to install it and any subsequent updates including those for Internet Explorer which McAfee and many other applications rely on regardless of your default browser settings,.  It involves temporarily disabling VirusScan, and help is posted here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2007

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community