cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 221 of 265

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Well we will have 4-5 mths to sort that out the box shown is a 2011 version in a 2012 box. Not something  what we are happy about but you are getting a warning early that sp3 is required as I would expect no install if it is not there.

astor
Level 8
Message 222 of 265

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Interesting to see the change in system requirements for XP from SP2 to SP3.  Although probably appropriate it was unexpected, especially since others like Norton still support SP2.  I'm just about finished migrating my stuff to my new W7 PC, and once I'm finished I will re-install XP and update to SP3.  If successful this time, and it should be, I will install McAfee.  If it behaves itself I will continue using it.  If not I'll try Norton and if it works will buy it.  I already have Norton (pre-installed) on a HP W7 laptop and it's been fine,  I take the view that no software is totally bug free and perfect.  I've wasted too much time already chasing issues with McAfee on my old XP PC, which were probably not to fault of McAfee since the system was probably corrupted somehow.  I just want to get on with my work and not waste any more time with issues, whether they are Windows or a third party related.  If I sound frustrated I am.  I consider Windows itself a horrible operating system so any third party application written on it is bound to have issues.  I know this from first hand experience as I've written api based apps and drivers on Windows, several unix systems, OpenVMS and RT11, and Windows sucks!  I just wished I could move to a MAC but a couple of commercial applications I'm using are only supported on Windows.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 223 of 265

Jump to solution

astor wrote:

Interesting to see the change in system requirements for XP from SP2 to SP3.  Although probably appropriate it was unexpected, especially since others like Norton still support SP2.  I'm just about finished migrating my stuff to my new W7 PC, and once I'm finished I will re-install XP and update to SP3.  If successful this time, and it should be, I will install McAfee.  If it behaves itself I will continue using it.  If not I'll try Norton and if it works will buy it.  I already have Norton (pre-installed) on a HP W7 laptop and it's been fine,  I take the view that no software is totally bug free and perfect.  I've wasted too much time already chasing issues with McAfee on my old XP PC, which were probably not to fault of McAfee since the system was probably corrupted somehow.  I just want to get on with my work and not waste any more time with issues, whether they are Windows or a third party related.  If I sound frustrated I am.  I consider Windows itself a horrible operating system so any third party application written on it is bound to have issues.  I know this from first hand experience as I've written api based apps and drivers on Windows, several unix systems, OpenVMS and RT11, and Windows sucks!  I just wished I could move to a MAC but a couple of commercial applications I'm using are only supported on Windows.

I hear you.  I've had my share of nightmares with various Windows systems through the years.   All the best. 😉

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 224 of 265

Jump to solution

rabbit2 wrote:

Ex_Brit

McAfee have recently updated their site and are now showing system requirements for the 2012 products. This includes the need for SP3 which is what you have listed. When "aster" and I looked on Sept 18 (posts 325 and 332), pre-2012 products were shown with only an SP2 requirement. I think the problem in this forum relates to upgrades from 2010 to 2011 products and so SP2 is still OK in this context. But, as mentioned before, since SP3 users (myself included) are affected, the service pack issue is not relevant.

The 2012 product release, with its SP3 requirement, will be interesting. Will McAfee detect SP2 and refuse to upgrade to 2012 but continue to provide dat updates for the earlier build or will it refuse to update and no longer provide dats - hopefully with an explanatory message requesting SP3 to be installed? Or will it just load 2012 on to an SP2 system and to hell with the consequences? No doubt a similar situation has happened in the past but I can't remember it.

As Tony has said, it isn't actually released yet.  We shall know what happens when the beta goes online I guess which should be soon.  I would imagine (& hope) that it would detect SP2 and refuse to install.   That would make sense to avoid further complications down the road.

As one of McAfee's technicians recently said:

"The important point with having a fully patched system is security.  Not installing the latest patches and then running a security product like McAfee is very much like putting a deadbolt on the front door of a house - while the backdoor and basement windows are wide open!  IOW, there’s not much point in having security software installed if the OS is insecure."

The beta, when released should be announced here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236 - note that at present the only Consumer downloads available there are current versions.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/09/11 11:54:59 EDT AM

Jump to solution

In the midst of all of this discussion, am wondering if some attempt at a “patch” has been made? Have not had any WFP warnings since 18/9 & (most unusual) have not had to reinstall my Network Adapter for over a week. Since all of this started months ago, I have had to reinstall my Network Adapter 36 times. It is the one file consistently erroneously affected by this ongoing WFP nonsense. I was “astonished” that the McAfee update this morning that required a restart caused no problems. Has something/anything changed of which we have not been informed?

My current versions (all reflecting Last Update2011-09-20) are:

Security Centre 11.0.586

Virus Scan 15.0.291

Firewall 12.0.344

Is there something we should know? (I’d like to be grateful but only if it is by design & not accident, i.e. no more surprises). Pls & Tx for any info. GB.

Jump to solution

GOOD NEWS!!

After seing a few other posters were doing better with the new version of the Security Center, I became daring and did a manual update (which I can do in protected mode).

The reboot after the update resulted in the now well-known start-up screen freeze. However, after rebooting in safe mode, I did an nvidia driver reinstall - and the reboot after that DID NOT FREEZE!!! 

It was not a problem, then, to change from VGA mode to high resolution.

IT WORKS!!! (but system is much slower than usual)

Only problem (?) now is a new event message (dating from today and not seen previously with svchost.exe):

event ID 516 from source mfehidk :

Process **\SVCHOST.exe pid (1384) contains a certified but untrustworthy content. The execution of a preferred Operation with a McAfee-Driver, however, was permitted.

Any ideas??? Thanks in advance!

Kristine

Greens
Level 9
Message 227 of 265

Jump to solution

The WFP erros on shut down seem to have stopped on my system since the last update.  I haven't run any Malwarebytes scans so I don't know if the errors have stopped on them yet.  But, I also have to SVHOST.exe error showing up now.  (post 353 by krisser65) The PID number of the error varies.  This symptom began after the update, so there are at least two of us with this problem.  In my case though, the file is blocked from running.

gvr39
Level 7
Message 228 of 265

Jump to solution

My 64008-warnings on shut down stopped on 15-Sep.

Highlighted
rasher
Level 7
Message 229 of 265

Jump to solution

Well since the McAfee restart update I haven't had the problem. Either a random thing or an error in the previous update. I've had one other restart update since and all still fine.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 230 of 265

Jump to solution

Rasher post your various build versions and your affid no please.

as far as I know no fix yet .

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/09/11 8:59:07 AM

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community