Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Greens
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 171 of 265

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

New symptom for me:  When the Windows Update was installing tonight, I got a WFP error pop up.  The pop ups have only happened for me previously when running SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes scans unless I disable real time McAfee scanning first.  Neither spyware scan runs in real time and until recently neither caused any issues when McAfee real time scanning was on during a spyware scan.  I can't be positive but it appeared that tonight's episode happened when the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool was installing.  So for me, it looks like there is a conflict when McAfee's real time scanning is running and when anything is happening with any other spyware/malware application, including a Microsoft update tool.

When this has happened to me, I have ignored the pop up window for the WFP and let the scan finish running.  In tonight's situation I let the window up while Microsoft continued to update.  When the scans have finished and when tonight's update completed, I left the WFP error box up on the screen and restarted the computer to get rid of the window.  I don't want to tell it to replace the file and I don't have the CD that the window is asking for.  When it restarts things look ok.

I still get WFP errors showing up in the event log on shut down.  But once again, if I disable McAfee real time scanning before shutting the computer down (as a test) I get no errors showing up.

My computer seems to be working just fine and I hope it stays that way.

astor
Level 8
Message 172 of 265

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

I've also got a new symptom.  It started about two weeks ago.  It doesn't happen all the time but about 30%.  It happens after a regular McAfee update performed each day.  The most significant change is browsing over the Internet.  It's painfully slow.  A reboot fixes things.  I decided to disable the automatic update feature and perform the update manually after I've closed down all applications.  I think it has helped but the problem occurred again yesterday.   I now reboot after each McAfee update just in case.  Again, as I said before I don't mind for now since I'm dumping the PC for a new one.

McAfee Employee dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
Message 173 of 265

Jump to solution

Update.  The lead investigator has connected to one person's system and says

1. The issue didn't reproduce when we booted up the machine. I didn't see any errors coming up however I saw the errors popped up when I ran the SFC utility. It complained of dlls fromWindows Media Player and eHome being affected.

2.  The date modified flag of the dlls said to be affected has not changed. Which didn't make much sense.

3. I have copied the files into my machine in any case. I will try to check what changes could have been made.

So  I would like to find which process is making changes to the files. One way is to use procmon but these needs to be run when the changes to the files are being done.

I had look into the log files already supplied but those McLogs dont make any mention of the files being affected. I will investigate to find if there is any way to log the files that are being modified by a McAfee process.

He is also asking for event logs from two other machines that have the problem.

Jump to solution

No, it's extremely unlikely that this is a problem with faulty or corrupted Windows systems.  Check out how many views this thread has, my friend! It's over 22,000 views!  And most people who have problems with their computer will do a google search, read a link they find, try the suggestions, and never post anything in the forums they find.  So don't think that not many people are having this issue merely based on the number of people posting here.  You have to count the views of the thread, as well as factor in many other things, for instance the simple fact that many people don't have time to fiddle around with fixing their own machines. Others don't even know how to use google to try and fix their machines!  Anyway, I'm rambling. The point is, needless to say, this is a serious problem, and it's on McAfee's end.  I'd bet my subscription on it. lol

Message was edited by: supergeek on 9/11/11 9:48:58 PM CDT
astor
Level 8
Message 175 of 265

Jump to solution

If you are right, and I am not suggestion you can't be, then yes McAfee has a very serious problem on their hands.  They have to resolve it ASAP or surely they will lose a lot of customers.  How can anyone rely on such an important and critical piece of software if it is so faulty?  Of course n oone shouldn't, especially those who are most vulnerable because they are computer illiterate, which happens to be most of the PC users of the world.  I also agree McAfee AV has been problematic.  I’ve had lots of problems myself over the past but because I’m computer savvy I’ve spotted them and in most situations found fixes for them.  Some required registry cleanups and manual permission changes to registry entries.  This is something a normal user wouldn’t dare do.  However, I’m getting tired of all this.  I’ve been in the computer industry for over 35 years and I’m now so annoyed with various aspects of Windows.  I’ve must have spent literally months of my life ever since Win95 came out troubleshooting various Windows related issues.  I have used a Mac and I have to say I wish I could use one all the time but I can’t due to certain applications I need to use that only run on Windows. Using a Mac is such a blessing.  One focuses 99% of the time on real work, not spending inordinate amounts of time tracking down and fixing operating system and application related issues.  I’ve been a HP-Unix, Ultrix, SGI, Windows,Mac, OpenVMS and NonStop administrator at various stages in my life and I have to say Window is effectively a virus in its own right, while all the other operating systems I've used are a blessing to administer.  Enough rambling though.

I just bought a new PC with McAfee pre-installed.  I hope I don’tsuffer too many hassles

Jump to solution

I too am getting the error message "Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unknown versions".

Without reading through 30 pages of complaints, conflicts between mods and posters and failed fixes, is there or is there not a known fix for me?

Message was edited by: boomboomer on 9/10/11 6:30:53 PM CDT

Jump to solution

boomboomer - There is no fix, but a bug is filed and engineering is working on it.

blarty-fargo - As far as regsvr32 goes it is not really a low level tool. All it does is write the registry entries which point to the dll. If you run regsvr32 and the registry entries are already there, nothing happens. If the registry entries are incorrect it repairs them.

Now if you run the command with the /u switch, you can get yourself in trouble. But that is not what was suggested. We use the regsvr32 command in a lot of tools and it is a savior. You will see Microsoft reference it in many of their KB articles.

Regards,

Jump to solution

This thread will be 200 pages long and there still will not be a fix.

Jump to solution

Anybody there have problem with windows installer, I found out that it was damaged somehow, I instal the newest from microsoft. Today my machine has asked again for my XP install CD and now my windows installer again found damaged. The first time I was discovered it because windows updates not was able to run. Today it was some other software there use the installer.?

micham
Level 7
Message 180 of 265

Jump to solution

Same problems here, on WinXP Pro SP3 with all patches, McAfee AntiVirus Plus 15.0.291 and SecurityCenter 11.0.578, and no other security / malware checking software:

- Had WFP warnings about 2-3 months ago, didn't connect them to McAfee at the time, after (several) uses of WinXP SP2 Boot CD they seem fixed for now.

- Now regularly see "The protected system file xxx could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating" in Event Log.

- Sometimes winlogon.exe starts continuously using 30% CPU, with peaks to 50% regularly every few seconds on my dual core PC. It seems disabling Real-Time Scanning for a short while clears that, until next time.

- I have not tracked this closely, but it seems Winlogon.exe is using large amounts of memory and slowly increasing over time, while Task Manager shows it is *writing* a very large number of 'I/O Write Bytes' !?

- Scheduled Scans have become soo slow they are impossible to do. Sometimes it got stuck so badly while trying to scan VMware virtual disk files of several GB size each, I had to hard reset my laptop after unsuccessfully trying for 20 minutes to cancel the scan or initiate a reboot by keyboard. Even when excluding those (see next issue), I have canceled the last attempt after 10 hours, trying to scan 250 GB files on a fast harddisk.

- The file/folder exclusion option of Scheduled Scan as it exists is _unusable_, as I have a large number (30+) of huge encrypted container files in the root directory, and huge VMware virtual disk files in a directory from which several subdirectories contain small files I want to have scanned - but I can either exclude files one by one (for 30+ files??) or exclude the folder and ALL (!!) subfolders with it.