cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enmerkar
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 61 of 265

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

blarty-fargo wrote:

I wonder if a greater sense of urgency would be applied if this issue affected Windows 7 users - rather than us XP SP3 scumbags?

Yeah, I get the impression that McAfee regards its Windows XP customers as dispensable.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 62 of 265

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

blarty-fargo wrote:

The whole situation is deeply depressing.

I wonder if a greater sense of urgency would be applied if this issue affected Windows 7 users - rather than us XP SP3 scumbags?

They don't feel that, many of us Mods still use XP, some live, some in VM's.

XP SP3 is supported by Microsoft until April 8, 2014 therefore McAfee will also support it until at least then.  (See HERE).

The trouble is that none of us experienced these problems in those OS's during the beta testing and apparently neither did the developers.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/08/11 7:01:10 EDT AM

Jump to solution

Mer logs still relevant?

I finally gathered the courage to attack this case and found that I was able to establish a web connection in safe mode. I now have a mer log; would it still be useful after all this time?? (and where should I mail it to?)

My problems are:

*wpf messages (no popups) -

*graphics card (nvidia) only in VGA mode - driver is one of the 'replaced' file

*freezes when booting in regular mode (this happened after I uninstalled Malwarebytes, which was mentioned somewhere in the interminable thread to be a problem). Can only boot in safe mode.

* when operating in safe mode w/network : McAfee real time scanner turns itself off right after I turn it on

I figure if this week's meeting produces some kind of useful response from McAfee, I'll keep it - one last try

Thank you!

Best regards,

Kristine

Message was edited by: krisser65 on 8/15/11 11:46:02 AM CDT
Dinz
Level 16
Message 64 of 265

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Sorry for the  time this issue has taken but please be informed that we have a team that has been deployed as soon as this issue was reported , who are working hard on getting things done so fast , I shall update you once I get more info on the same.

@kristy.

Safe mode w/networking as you know is a diagnostic mode in which  the system works with minimal drivers loaded up so that’s the reason McAfee would not be enabled in the safe modes

Regards,

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 65 of 265

Jump to solution

As Dinz says the issue is under investigation. They do not need any more MER logs but keep them in case they do.

Any new info I see  I will post here asap.

Re the edit button it disappears when someone replies, this a feature of the forum sorry. I forgot it was this way.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 16/08/11 7:15:40 AM
tycat999
Level 7
Message 66 of 265

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem, which started last week after a Security Center software update was automatically sent to my Dell laptop (running Windows XP SP3).  Unlike everyone who has posted so far, I am not a techie.  I have no idea what files might be getting replaced, and other than the WPF message every time I boot up I haven't noticed anything amiss.  Should I disable McAfee (not sure which is worse - files being replaced or no antivirus software)?  Is there any way to check what might have been replaced?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

enmerkar
Level 7
Message 67 of 265

Jump to solution

My advice is to disable real-time scanning and updates indefinitely. I did this within two hours after getting the first WFP warning, and it stopped any further damage been caused. So, I strongly recommend you disable those without further delay, and do not reactivate them until McAfee provides a solution.

To check what files are missing:

1. Click Start > Click Run...> Type: sfc /scannow > Let the scan run to completion, dismissing the pop-ups during the scan.

2. After the scan has completed, open Notepad.

3. Click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Event Viewer > System..

4. In the Source column, doubleclick the entries that say: Windows File Protection. In the Description (for some of those entries) it has a missing filepath (eg. "The system file <filepath> could not be copied into the DLL cache.") , copy and paste each missing filepath into Notepad and you will have a list of the missing files and filepaths.

Highlighted
Greens
Level 9
Message 68 of 265

Jump to solution

I've been keeping an eye on things since first adding to this thread.  I've done nothing about replacing files because it's beyond my capabilities.  I've got an OEM MCE 2002 SP2 disk which I guess isn't going to do the trick and can't be streamlined.  My computer is acting ok as far as I can tell.  I ran a Malwarebytes scan again today and got the WFP error about files being replaced by unrecognized versions when it was scanning dll files but it went too fast for me to figure out which one it was.  I restarted the computer after that to get rid of the WFP box without telling it that I wanted to keep the unrecognized files.  After it started back up I went into event viewer and discovered that a different set of dll files from what I had seen in the past could not be verified because WFP was terminating.  I updated SuperAntispyware and had to reboot for that to take affect.  That time, only one file showed up in the event log.  I can't tell if the dll file errors are on start up or shutdown.  But for me, two different things seem to be going on.  When I run spyware scans, I get the WFP error for unrecognized files.  On either shut down or start up, I get WFP errors for as many as 5 or as few as 1 dll files, with the files varying on the mood of the computer I guess.  Those WFP errors indicate that the files could not be verified because WFP was terminating.  I don't know if this will shed any light on what is going on or not but I thought I'd toss this in in case someone from McAfee itself takes a look at this thread.  Much thanks to all who are trying to help.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 69 of 265

Jump to solution

Hasn't been six months but even this delay we have is annoying and I am not having any issue with my WFP errors they seem to only affect screensaver files.

Having another discussion re outstanding issues tomorrow with the techs

enmerkar
Level 7
Message 70 of 265

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper wrote:

Hasn't been six months but even this delay we have is annoying and I am not having any issue with my WFP errors they seem to only affect screensaver files.

It's been nearly two and a half months since this problem was reported. What has McAfee's response been?

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community