cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilsonpr
Level 7

File Exclusion form Virus Scan

I would like to exclude some very large files from the scheduled virus scan. I store many VMware virtual machines on my hard drive and I would like to exclude the virtual disks .vmdk files, they average 2GB each and there are between 20 and 50 of them at any given time. Optionally I could exclude a directory because they are all in the same tree structure.
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

RE: File Exclusion form Virus Scan

It's not possible with the home products. Using a manual "Custom" scan it is possible to exclude drives and to set it to scan "Program Files & Documents Only" but that is about as flexible as it gets.

My suggestion would be to move those to another drive or removable media and then switch off the automatic scan.
0 Kudos
historyfiend
Level 7

Re: File Exclusion form Virus Scan

In Security Center v11 this is possible. However it appears you can't exclude specific files / folders from the real time scanning. You have to pick either i) All Files, or ii) Programs and Documents. It would be a big help if the real time scanning would also have per file / per folder exclusions.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: File Exclusion form Virus Scan

Yes we have suggested it to McAfee.   This is such an ancient thread the oriiginal poster will have to refresh his/her membership in order to respond..

0 Kudos