cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvP2
Level 7

Fake Trojan alert

I am for over a year or so now restoring some files.

For years I am playing games.

Since a year or so McAfee started Quarantine

File name : SRES.DLL

Game: Aliens vs Predator.

This file belongs to legal software. Not some thing I got of the Internet.

Aliens vs Predator 2 ( Fox Sierra Monolith )

The biggest problem being, I can only restore it, I can't tell the (virus scanner) to trust the file.
:mad:

I already reported the file more then onces, tried contacted support.
Which ended in, without any questions where the files comes from, yes is a virus.

I am having problems with more games, and I know four other AvP2 fan's who use McAfee, but different windows versions, all updated.

This might sound like just a game, but if not for games, I would not need windows at all.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

RE: Fake Trojan alert

Report it manually by email and if they reject it as a virus reply immediately to that email appealing the decision explaining what it is.

How to: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=233662
0 Kudos
AvP2
Level 7

I will try to email thank you, it's worth another try.

Then I at least will get a change to explain something. Smiley Happy

Running that test file gives me a weird message,

small Window alert window, were you can clivk OK.

Thanks for executing one of the MBL installation files, check test files. [dirty]
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Good luck.
0 Kudos
robertv
Level 7

Re: RE: Fake Trojan alert

Fake Alert...

What an appropriate name for this. If your virus software won't get rid of it you should upgrade to the latest Mcfee. You can try and remove it manually, a pain but it works. You basically have to stop the processes that are running, then unregister the dll files, delete the registry files, and delete the files. It sounds like a lot some of us but it is not that bad. Make sure you turn off the system restore. Check microsft.com if you need instructions for that. Here is a link with all the details for the manual removal of fakealert. http://easythings.org/virus-removal-adware-spyware-removal/fakealert-tojan

Message was edited by: robertv on 12/16/10 5:09:28 PM CST
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: RE: Fake Trojan alert

Thanks for posting but this is a rather old thread.

0 Kudos