cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Excluded Files / Add File

Jump to solution

Windows 7 OS, free McAfee from AT&T, logged on with an administrator account, and McAfee is running as an administrator.    When I go to the settings for Real Time Scanning, then I click on "Excluded Files," and then a command button appears which says "Add File."  The problem is this -- upon clicking "Add File", nothing happens.  I know I'm supposed to get a screen that lets me browse and select a file to be excluded, but it never shows up.  And I know that the Add File command button is enabled because when the mousepointer is hovering over the button, the backcolor turns white, and also when the button is clicked, the border of the button changes to dotted lines.  But when clicked, absolutely nothing happens.  I would believe that the Add File button is supposed to open another file.  Wish I knew which file that is so maybe I could check it for missing or corrupt.  By the way, the entire McAfee software has been uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Excluded Files / Add File

Jump to solution

A consumer calls for help, the rep. cannot fix it for you.  The rep passes you off to another rep.  The 2nd rep. passes you off to a "supervisor."  The consumer tries the live chat.  That rep passes you off by saying that another rep will call you back or email you.  Then you get a phone call and finally learn what is going on.

Apparently McAfee did a program update in Aug. or Sept. of 2020, and some features of the new version simply do not work if your OS happens to be Windows 7.  In my case, when clicking on the Add File button under Excluded Files, nothing happens . . . . the file browser screen does not come up and you cannot select a file to be excluded.

So, at this time, because Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 7, therefore McAfee will not support it either.

The rep on the phone said that McAfee is recommending that Windows 7 users Upgrade their OS to Windows 8.1 or higher. 

Of course that is not a SOLUTION, it is only an ANSWER, and I bid you all a fond farewell.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Excluded Files

Jump to solution

When You you uninstalled it did you use both the windows way reboot and then run MCPR the removal tool and reboot?

How to remove McAfee

also good idea to download and run the preinstall tool as well before reinstalling

Preinstall Tool

Sounds like a corrupt file. If still an issue call support

Call McAfee support

Highlighted

Jump to solution

To Peacekeeper - When I uninstalled 3 times, I used the normal windows way the first 2 times, and I think I remember using an option to COMPLETELY remove it.  Of course I rebooted.  The 3rd time, I used the MCPR tool.  Of course I rebooted.  The problem still exists.

I did not use the pre-install tool.  There are no other AV apps on this desktop.

The problem issue I spoke of did not exist earlier this year (2020).  I had 7 exe files in the excluded list and all was well.  In October, I wanted to add another file, but alas, all was not well with the world.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @Gary7766 

We are sorry for the inconvenience, please make sure your windows is up to date (Run windows updates) and uninstall and reinstall McAfee. Please click the below link to get steps for uninstalling McAfee:

How to remove McAfee products from a PC that runs Windows

How to prepare a Windows PC to install McAfee products

Highlighted

Jump to solution

To Sudhakar_A_K  -  Thanks for your reply.  I can't update Win 7 any more since MSoft stopped supporting it last January.

I see that you are a moderator, and I was hoping that someone like you could find out the name of the file that is opened when the Add File button is clicked.  (Maybe something like Windows Explorer.)

I will try the pre-install tool tomorrow and post the results.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

As per the suggestions made by Peacekeeper and Sudhakar_A_K , I performed the following steps -

Logged on in the Administrator account.  Disabled the pop-up blocker in the browser.  Uninstalled the existing McAfee using Windows Uninstall.  Reboot.  Ran the McAfee Pre-Install Tool.  Reboot.  Ran the McAfee MCPR Tool.  Reboot.  Installed the McAfee software.  Reboot.  Enabled the pop-up blocker in the browser.  Opened McAfee Security Center.  Checked for Updates, OK.  Went through all Settings, OK.  Ran a Quick Scan, OK.  

Went to Real-Time Scanning.  Clicked to open Excluded Files, OK.  Clicked the Add File button.  Nothing happens.

Only one incident during the running of the Pre-Install Tool . . . . the info message bar at the top of the screen said "Fixing redistributable problem."  But the process continued and displayed a good report.

In my mind, I have come up against 3 possible problems.

1.  The program code for the Add File button is faulty, but I don't really think so.

2.  The file that is supposed to be opened by the Add File button is missing or corrupt.

3.  A dependency file is missing or corrupt, possibly a Windows System file.

So, if somebody could tell me the files involved, then I could check them for missing or corrupt, and I may be able to extract a good file from a System Image, or from one of my Backups.

Thank you kindly.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Best I leave it to the mods out of interest the add file option works for me on my PC.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

A consumer calls for help, the rep. cannot fix it for you.  The rep passes you off to another rep.  The 2nd rep. passes you off to a "supervisor."  The consumer tries the live chat.  That rep passes you off by saying that another rep will call you back or email you.  Then you get a phone call and finally learn what is going on.

Apparently McAfee did a program update in Aug. or Sept. of 2020, and some features of the new version simply do not work if your OS happens to be Windows 7.  In my case, when clicking on the Add File button under Excluded Files, nothing happens . . . . the file browser screen does not come up and you cannot select a file to be excluded.

So, at this time, because Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 7, therefore McAfee will not support it either.

The rep on the phone said that McAfee is recommending that Windows 7 users Upgrade their OS to Windows 8.1 or higher. 

Of course that is not a SOLUTION, it is only an ANSWER, and I bid you all a fond farewell.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

You run the preinstall tool prior to installing Mcafee Sudhakar linked to the preinstall things to do but usually these not necessary.

Might be win 7 issue with Mcafee he will check this.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community