cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 41 of 62

Re: Event ID: Mfehidk & McShield. MVT not working.

I'm looking into this for the original poster, but I will include both you and MN_Biker in this as well. Thanks for the extended info MB_Biker, I'll get that looked at and get back to you with anything I find.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
Level 12
Message 42 of 62

Hey all!

I've been discussing this issue with Tier 3 and dev, and they would like to get some logs. Could one or two of you get a mctrace log and send it to me? Here are the steps, and I'm attaching the tool:

We need user to follow steps below in order:

-          Install McTrace and reboot

-          Recreate the issue at hand

-          Wait for failure plus a few seconds

-          Stop the McTrace.

-          Gather log files

Basically we need McTrace to be running and started the whole time during reproducing the issue. Please post the logfiles to this thread, or private message them to me if you're more comfortable.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst

SPyron,

I can recreate Event Type: Warning  Event Source: mfehidk   Event Category:   (256)  Event ID:  516 with a right click scan a file every time. I believe the Real-Time Scanner may be causing the random event warnings in the system log.

With Real-Time scanning off it will not recreate the issue.I'll attach log file.

MN_Biker

Level 12
Message 44 of 62

Thanks for the logs Biker! I'll get these to development right away.

Regarding disabling the real-time scanner, I'm not surprised that would stop the issue. That essentially disables the scanner altogether, unless you manually start a scan (called on-demand scanning). One thing you could try would  be disabling Script scanning, but it can be tricky. Try this:

Double-click the M shield

Click Navigation

Click Real-Time Scanning

Scroll down to "Threats" and UN-check "Scripts in Internet Explorer and Firefox"

Here's the tricky part. While this disables the script scanning feature, it doesn't unload the drivers from memory. You actually have to go through a little process to do that. Please let me know the result of trying the steps above. If we need to, I'll PM you the steps to unload the driver and we'll go from there. I'll let you know what I find out from the logfile too.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst

SPyron,

I've been away for awile so I couldn't get back right away. I have follwed the steps to disabling Script scanning.

Double-click the M shield

Click Navigation

Click  Real-Time Scanning

Scroll down to "Threats" and UN-check "Scripts  in Internet Explorer and Firefox"

I could not recreate the warning by scanning a file But after a reboot it appeared again. So I changed it back.

I guess we go to the next step.

Hope to here from you soon.

MN_Biker

Level 12
Message 46 of 62

Oh, fine, just shoot down my ideas why don't you?

I'll bring this issue up on our call today and let you know if I have anything else to try (or anything from the logs).

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
Level 12
Message 47 of 62

I sent another status request, but haven't gotten a response yet. I'm sorry for the delay, but I haven't forgotten you! I'll keep working to get us something to move forward.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst

Did this ever get resolved?  I'm having the same issue on a customers system?

I am interested to hear if this has been fixed. I have the same "signed but untrusted" warning in the Event Log (WinXP).

Just for the record I solved this by:

1. Uninstalling all McAfee products (inc MVT) via Control Panel

2. Running McAfee's uninstaller

3. Rebooting

4. Running CCleaner (which found a few registry entries left by McAfee Uninstaller)

5. Reinstalling the product

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community