cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dellquestion
Level 7

Does Security Center work without activation?

Hello, I purchased a Dell latptop about 2 years ago, and deleted the pre-installed McAfee first thing.  Yesterday I did a factory image restore and did not delete the pre-installed McAfee right away.  Though I did not activate any sort of trial right away either.  As I was on the internet I got a pop up from McAfee saying that they had blocked some connection that it thought was bad.  Now I was surprised to see this as I thought that since I hadn't activated anything yet McAfee wasn't protecting my computer.  Does this mean that on my Dell McAfee will continue to protect it regardless of whether I activate the account or not?  And what about the thing that says I have 14 days to activate my trial, what happens after the 14 days?  Does security center stop protecting my computer or does the trial simply go away?

I guess what it boils down to is, if security center is protecting my computer without activation, why would I activate?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Does Security Center work without activation?

It's probably a 1 year license provided by Dell and I would imagine it's a rather old version so probably not protecting too well.  What happens when you right-click the taskbar icon and select Verify subscription or Go to my account?

Can you open the SecurityCenter and click About (or Navigation > About) and post what that says please?

0 Kudos
dellquestion
Level 7

If I click verify subscription I get a message saying that they cannot verify the subscription (I assume this is because it hasn't been activated yet)

When I click view my account I get ; Not activated 15 days activate by 24/10/2013

When I click about I get

McAfee Security Center

Version 11.0

Build 11.0.543

Affld 105-338

Last Updte 01/03/2012

Also

McAfee Virus Scan

Version 15.0

Build 15.0.288

Last Update 09/10/2013

DAT version 6331.0000

DAT creation date 29/04/2011

Boot DAT version 6265.0000

Boot DAT creation date 22/02/2011

Engine Version 5400.1158

Theres some other stuff in the about but I don't really feel like typing it all out right now

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I think Customer Service should know better than I regarding this issue:  see the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Or contact Dell toi see if they have a more recent version or see if you can log in on their account page:  https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105

0 Kudos
dellquestion
Level 7

alright thanks anyway.

Do you have any idea what happens after the 15 days to activate the trial runs out?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

The software stops updating and you should uninstall it.

0 Kudos
dellquestion
Level 7

but it still works? Just an older version?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It works after a fashion but isn't really protecting you so is risky at best and dangerous at worst to keep around after that date.

0 Kudos