cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wendylea
Level 7

Detection signature is more than 30 days old

Hi my name is Wendy and I am new to this group and also new to McAfee Security Center.  Here is my problem.

I bought a new laptop from Dell about a month ago and it came with McAfee Security Center subscription for 3 years.  Anyway, since I have been using my laptop I keep getting an error that my Detection signature is more than 8-29 days old.  Now, I have a red "x" on McAfee saying that my Detection signature is more than 30 days old.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and Internet Security 8 and it is a 64bit operating system.  I have been trying to resolve this issue now for the past month.  I see when I get on line that I have the red circle on the desktop going in circles.  It goes around but it never seems to finish.  I am also on dial-up. 

I have run McAfee Virtual Technician several times and even though it says it has fixed the problem with the detection signatures it really does not fix it at all.  Everything else seems to run okay.  I am not a computer geek so I am not so sure what I can do to resolve this issue.   I don't have any other issues on my new laptop, everything runs good.

I hope someone can help me solve this issue as it is just getting me aggravated.  It is a new machine so I don't understand why I already have this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Wendy 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
newjack
Level 12

Re: Detection signature is more than 30 days old

Have you run a system restore lately,as i have noticed this will sometimes give you this message?If you can try right clicking on the Mcafee icon and select update and see if that works.If that does`nt work refer to this article.If you need help post back here.

http://community.mcafee.com/message/88280#88280

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/14/10 2:03:25 PM EST

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/14/10 2:08:51 PM EST

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/14/10 2:09:58 PM EST
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Check that you system clock is accurate for time, timezone and date.  As you are on dial-up updates can sometimes take a long time.  Does the rotating arrow indicate any progress when you hover the cursor over it?

There's a FAQ on it which I can't access for now because the support website is down.  I'll check it later.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/02/10 2:14:14 EST PM
0 Kudos
Wendylea
Level 7

Thank you for your response.  When I put my mouse over the red icon it is circling and like right now it says it is doing a virsus scan check and it is 31% done.  But for some reason it never gets 100% of it.  I have noticed that the Virus Scan seems to keep spinning but it does not make progress.  Then I have seen that it goes back down to 1% and I do not know why.  My clock and date and timezone I did check last night and they are correct. 

I know with dialup it will take some time but it does not seem that it is right.  A few days ago when I logged on to my laptop I saw that it completed the McAfee Security Center 100%, I then saw that is did my Personal Firewall 100%, Parental Controls 100% completed and Anti Spam 100%.  But when it came to the Virus Scan it did not complete.  It seems that the Virus Scan is not working correctly.  I am at a loss now.

Any more help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Wendy

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

There could be a major update in progress as systems are being upgraded from the 2009 to the 2010 version plus some parts of SecurityCenter 10 - 2010 that weren't available at first release were only just released as an update this weekend, so there are a number of reasons for an update to be large, hence take a long time, but I strongly advise you to just stay tuned with it and let it progress.

The arrow will first say it is checking for updates, then it will start downloading updates and give a percentage of that, then installing it will again show a percentage for the progress.

0 Kudos
Wendylea
Level 7

Hi thank you so much for your reply.  To answer your question I have not done a system restore as it is a new laptop, I just got it last month.  I have also clicked on the McAfee icon and hit Update but it does not update.  The little circle is going around but it really doe not "fix" the issue.  It also says the last update date is today.  I am not sure what else I can do.  I have tried everything I can think of, McAfee Virtual Technician, other things I have read on here but I can't fix it. 

Thanks for your help.

Wendy

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

0 Kudos