cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop Icon still reappears after ver. 11.0.654 install

Jump to solution

I am in the United States and it is now past the 17th, and no new update that I can see. I want to drop McAfee and add the free AVG because this icon thing is so annoying to me. I delete it, and it just comes back. FIX IT!!

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 42 of 95

Jump to solution

It is fixed but noone can wait it seems.. As doug mentioned he got it by uninstalling and reinstaling you just need to retry update.Throttling is necessary My wife got it on day 1 here in australia. Lucky I suppose.

vinl
Level 7
Message 43 of 95

Jump to solution

What sparc4me said:

Only 2 instances verified is what you mean, right Peacekeeper?

-if you look at it demographically that could represent 20 or 200 or 2000.

This thread has been viewed 1100 times(thusfar);

it's just possible that others that are similarly affected have viewed the solution

and implemented it themselves without posting.

This is most certainly true of this whole desktop shortcut issue, I had followed and read through all 40+ pages of the original thread on this issue since this desktop shortcut started acting up for me from back in Nov (when I first came here the old discussion was only at page 20, and most of it was the old issue from 2010).

I have even downloaded and tried the old fix for the 2010 bug before finding out it was a different issue now, so I bookmarked and kept watch over the discussion for a month to finally wait out the solution. (it helped it was xmas, otherwise I'm not normally this patient)

There were already enough irate and tech-savvy customers posting, and seeing it got the attention necessary from McAfee I didn't feel the need to register just to rabble some more.

I'm sure there would always be more people with similar situations watching (and lurking) than just the ones who bothered to register to post.

Many are just too lazy or busy, if someone already said what I wanted to say and got the attention on the issue, then I'm happy to just keep watch. Until something came up...

Message was edited by: vinl on 1/14/12 5:53:44 PM EST

Jump to solution

For whatever edification it may offer-

Doug_PM.jpg                            

PreInstall.jpg

MVT Image_sm.jpg

Message was edited by: sparc4me on 1/13/12 4:48:58 AM CST

Message was edited by: sparc4me on 1/13/12 5:54:46 AM CST

on 1/13/12 5:57:52 AM CST
vinl
Level 7
Message 45 of 95

Jump to solution

Thank you sparc,

I did as sparc instructed, now after 2 hrs of working on my computer and a few restarts, it seems to have stayed gone for good. Hope this is the end of it

Edit: I haven't tried the file fix from Doug, I already patched it manually as sparc said and waited a few hrs before I came back to post, the result seemed good so far.

Message was edited by: vinl on 1/13/12 4:36:40 PM EST

Jump to solution

You can use this file to restore the registry key. Again this will only work on Security Center version 11.0.654. It may appear on the older version, but altering it will not help until you get 11.0.654.

McAfeeMSCShortcutsKey

Steps to use the reg file:

Verify you have 11.0.654 by opening Security Center from the desktop icon that won't go away, or the icon in the system tray.

Click About

Verfiy it says Build: 11.0.654 for Security Center

Close the About screen

Click Navigation

Click General Settings and Alerts

Click on Access Protection (to expand the drawer)

Uncheck Use Access Protection

Click Apply and leave Security Center open.

Now double-click the reg file. It may ask if are sure you want to modify the registry. Click Yes. If all went well it will give you a success message. Click OK

If it doesn't import correctly, you should review the steps above to disable access protection.

Go back and check Use Access Protection in Security Center

Click Apply

Close the window.

Now delete the icon and test it by checking for an update.

If this works, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

jabouy
Level 7
Message 47 of 95

Jump to solution

OK, so that's the desktop icon sorted.

Now how about the Start Menu folder and Icon?  I was told this was a related 'bug' but my Start Menu Icon keeps coming back like a goodun.

Not only that if I put it somewhere else in the Start Menu folder tree it gets magically plucked from there and back where McAfee wants it.  It's a pretty magic 'bug' if you ask me.

Man, this is like pulling teeth.

Enough of the system hijacks already, I just wanna set up my folder and icon structure how I want it.  If every application behaved like this it would be chaos.

Message was edited by: jabouy on 13/01/12 22:38:00 CST
detu
Level 7
Message 48 of 95

Jump to solution

Why Should The Customer have to change ANYTHING. It's your program. FIX IT my icon still reappears and it is the latest version! It's the companies resposibility to fix this or refund our money.

Jump to solution

detu,

Did you try a fresh install or just the update?

Check the following registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\MSC\Shortcuts

Let me know the value of MSC_ShowDesktopIcon

And let me know if you would like me to fix it remotely.

Thanks,

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I'm new and have been following to repair the icon on the desktop which appeared around 12-25-11.  I waited for the update on the 17th in the US.  My three computers show they have updated, as scheduled, but the version for the SecurityCenter is still 11.0.649.  My understanding from this blog and the other blogs on this subject is when SecurityCenter updates I would receive the new version.  So what gives?