cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjelephant
Level 7

Dell blames McAfee for: Your systems firmware did not preserve the system memory map across hibernation

Hello,

My recently purchased Dell laptop keeps giving me that error message.  I contacted Dell and they are blaming McAfee for this issue.

Anyone familiar with this problem? 

Here is the answer from Dell:

If you don't like the error don't use McAfee or get McAfee to fix th eproblem.

This is the first and only time I have ever experienced this issue with any computer.  I have McAfee running on 4 computers and the only one that I get this error message on is the new laptop.

Is Dell right?  Should I no longer use McAfee?

Message was edited by: cjelephant on 8/14/11 9:58:11 AM CDT
0 Kudos
6 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Re: Dell blames McAfee for: Your systems firmware did not preserve the system memory map across hibernation

To better understand your issue could you please post what type of laptop along with operating system, ram service pack, hard drive, type of internet connection, browser IE8 or IE9 or Firefox

I also suggest you run the McAfee Virtual Technician found at the top of this page under Useful Links in the Technical Support link. MVT will scan your computer for McAfee related issues and will generate a report that you can provide what version of the software you are using, dat info, etc

This information will help troubleshoot what is going on and why.

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

Re: Dell blames McAfee for: Your systems firmware did not preserve the system memory map across hibernation

The information that k3tg is asking for would all be useful but the most important information for you to supply is the following :

1.  The operating system.  Windows 7, yes?

2.  The McAfee product and version you have on the laptop. I bet you don't have Endpoint Encryption. If you do, this thread needs moving.

You've already asked about this over on the Dell forum, which was the right thing to do. Unfortunately someone has responded to your question who has not asked for any information about your installed OS or AV product before jumping to conclusions, and is giving you unsound advice based on possibly false assumptions.

Before you do anything else, if you have Win7 take a look at the information in this article from 2009 relating to Windows 7 driver incompatibility or power management issues.

Edit - My apologies, I reread the Dell thread and I see you have already tried the steps outlined in the above article. Perhaps if we knew what your laptop was running then things might become a little clearer.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 15/08/11 03:32:29 IST
0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Also, is this an AMD or Intel processor?

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
0 Kudos
cjelephant
Level 7

AMD processor

Windows 7

IE9

McAfee Security Suite - which is free prom my internet provider.  It is running perfectly on an older dell Laptop and desktop.  Just the new Laptop not working.

I'm just about to buy a new virus checker and dump McAfee because it is driving me crazy.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Changing vendors isn't going to fix this problem. The problem you're having isn't a McAfee problem. Your Dell advisor specifically called out the SafeBoot application, which isn't on your laptop, so there is a different issue here.

I've done some research, and it looks like the issue is a BIOS or maybe power management piece of firmware, but I'm unsure which one. I saw from your notes on the Dell board that you already tried using device manager to detect those. I would advise getting a firmware upgrade from Dell honestly. Have you tried contacting their support? Not just their forum - forums are frequently populated by volunteers, like it is here. This is good if it's something fixable, but if it might actually be a manufacturing problem, you want to go to support so they can escalate tickets.

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
0 Kudos
thecreator
Level 7

cjelephant wrote:

AMD processor

Windows 7

IE9

McAfee Security Suite - which is free prom my internet provider.  It is running perfectly on an older dell Laptop and desktop.  Just the new Laptop not working.

I'm just about to buy a new virus checker and dump McAfee because it is driving me crazy.

Hi cjelephant,

What exact problem are you experiencing?

I own a Dell N-7110 with 3 GB of Ram plus Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1 installed and Internet Explorer 8.0 installed, not IE 9.0.

I do sometimes put the Laptop into Hiberation. I have notice no problems.

I am running the McAfee TP 5.0 Beta on the Laptop. And McAfee Real-Time Scanning is set to Never. It slows down the computer.

0 Kudos