We manually download the latest Definition files here, burn to DVD then upload on an isolated system. This week (30MAY2019) the files I normally get on a DVD is not too large. I am using the NAI.com FTP and download the Commonupdater folder for the windows updates.
What I noticed this week is there are more avvdat-9xxx.zip files than previously. The latest zip is avvdat-9272.zip. There are also zips going back to 9256.zip. Are those older ones needed or does the latest one (avvdat-9272.zip) contain all that is needed?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Is your question with reference to consumer or enterprise product?
I just looked at today's upload on the ftp.nai.com/commonupdater ftp site. It is even bigger than last week.
The files I am referring to are the avvdat-92XX.zip files. As I looked Just now those zips go from
seems McAfee have changed the way they were doing housekeeping, we have the same problem downloading ENS updates from https//update.nai.com.products/amcord2000/dat/000 this directory now contains files going back to 13th May 2019 and increasing everyday, where we used to download 200mb we are now downloading 1.6GB and this is increasing by 200mb a day.
Please sort McAfee or suggest a way that we can only download the files required for a virus definition version. we current use wget via a Linux server and let the PC access these files. Otherwise we would be downloading on ecvery PC and that's not practical.
jad, yes it seems so or not housecleaning lol.
What my first post was wondering is do I really need all those older zips. I do this weekly so it does not seem so to me. Also the Linux file we download is just the most current one.
We only ever needed the latest download zip as they are non accumulative, i.e. each zip holds all the updates. Your notice the zip gets slightly bigger each day. Well this was my understanding of how it works.
Our case we used to use v????.dat.exe file but this then had to be run by admin on the PC rather than using the scheduled updater within their McAfee app. Hence we now downloaded files from the commonupdater area's and then let the McAfee windows application schedule updates automatically.
I think your problem is similar to ours in the fact Mcafee are leaving old data around and you don't know what file you should actually be using i.e. there are multiple zip files, if you tried to manually down load the highest numbered zip file and update your pc it should indicate it is successful and show the version number in the PC app. . Not sure how clear that all is!!!!!
Thanks jad. It is clear and does seem to work.
There are a bunch more files in the commonupdater folder we download from the ftp site plus the zips. Hopefully this is not too confusing:
Last week I only loaded the zips (and the other files) that I had not loaded the week before that. So for example 2 weeks ago there were zips 9256 to 9264. So last week I only loaded up to the repository zips 9265 to 9274 (9274 was the latest posted that day).
This week I will try just 9278 (that latest) and see what happens.
I will load 9275 to 9278 same idea as last week.
It would seem to me you just need the latest one. My issue was not that the latest one was getting bigger that is ok for now. My issue was getting the whole commonupdater download and buring to a DVD to take to our system. 3 weeks ago I could do that but last week no because of the pile of zip files.
I will post here when I do the update later today.
This weeks files are even bigger than last week. I was able to do a good update using just the avvdat-9279.zip file but more of the files on the "commonupdater" location seems to be required. Another folder that is getting bigger under "commonupdater" is the "current" folder. One of the subfolders "amcordat2000" is the one that is the largest and is bigger than last weeks.
We have reported this to McAfee technical support as it has changed since 13th May, we were downloading almost 2GB from commonupdater, don't expect a company to change the contents of a download area like this effecting 100's of clients. I think they have just done something wrong.
in the mean time I've changed what I do. I now keep all their files on a Linux server and us --timestamping on the wget.
I use find to restrict to he last 4 days from that location. Seems to be working fine and our definitions are now being loaded again.
Looks like the commonupdater folder is smaller today!
New issue though is the linux .tar file is not posted on the usual location /pub/datfiles/english location at ftp.nai.com. Really making my manual updating tough past 3 weeks lol.