cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shelquis
Level 7

Daily Updates Using Too Much CPU

The daily McAfee updates use too much cpu. Is there any way to control either the time that the update occurs, or control the amount of cpu that it uses, or to temporarily interupt the update?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
BalaSGS
Level 7

RE: Daily Updates Using Too Much CPU

Hi,

There is no way to control the update time or the CPU usage of the computer while updating the McAfee programs.

However, you can change the update settings of the McAfee programs by using the following steps.

• Open McAfee Security Center> Click on Configure on the right bottom corner
• Click on Updates on the left top> Change the settings of updates as desired
0 Kudos
shelquis
Level 7

BalaSGS, thanks for the reply. I had given up on getting a response. I do appreciate it, even though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. But getting any answer is better than getting no answer. Thanks.
0 Kudos
MajorWinters
Level 7

It's not just the CPU usage being the problem. While updates are being downloaded and installed it brings my systems to a crawl.

My desktop is somewhat usable during an update but it's a hell on my older notebook.

Desktop: Core2Duo E6600, 4GB RAM
Laptop: Centrino 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM
0 Kudos
shelquis
Level 7

That's really my complaint too. I just assumed it's excessive cpu usage. But I have a web server based app that quite often kicks me out due to slow response during McAfee daily updating. That's why I was hoping there was some way to schedule the process, i.e. to avoid the hassle of being kicked off and not being able to finish my work. I hope some sort of control over the updating process, or improved performance, might be included in future releases.
0 Kudos
MajorWinters
Level 7

On my laptop CPU usage is at 100% during update process and sometimes McShield.exe will consume up to 200MB RAM during the update.
0 Kudos
darkglobe
Level 7

I ever had the same problem all days on my environment in the many hosts.

I use ePO to control how the machines will do a update, and there is a fild where you can set how much cpu usage will be consumed in each process, but don´t works!

I´m frustrate of this...

Disappointed of all trouble that it is bringing here.

I need a solution for this anyway.
0 Kudos
devonscouse
Level 7

Like most of you my system grinds to a halt when an up date update is downloaded. So I gave it up as a bad joke as it could take up to 25 minutes to download. So now I have disabled automatic updates and manually check for updates, then I can go away and do something else and I am not sitting infront of computer for half an hour not been able to do anything cause updates are been downloaded.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Either manually update or disable the automatic downloading of updates and change that to notify you first.

See this post for guidance: http://community.mcafee.com/showpost.php?p=549432&postcount=4
0 Kudos
MajorWinters
Level 7

Did that a few weeks ago, but it's nothing more then a "workaround" for this issue.
0 Kudos