Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamo1133
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Computer keeps rebooting

My computer is rebooting whenever I switch users, or after I disconnect from Secure Client VPN. After restarting I receive a Microsoft Error Msg stating that the computer has recovered from a critcal error, after sending the error report to Microsoft, I receive a msg stating that the report is corrupt.

I recently purchased Security Center 9.0 after my Comcast subscription expired. I've never had any problems prior to this. Searching this forum I saw there were other users with this same issue and there is a patch available. Is this patch still valid?
5 Replies

RE: Computer keeps rebooting

Not sure which patch you mean, can you steer me toi a thread mentioning it please?

If you can persuade the machine to boot into Safe Mode (& stay there) you could possible stop the rebooting and at least get an error screen instead, by right-clicking My Computer and going to the advanced tab in XP or Advanced settings in Vista. It's System Properties that you want. Click Startup & Recovery/Settings and uncheck the box marked "Automatically Restart" and then click OK and exit. Reboot and make a note of the error screen you may get at the next boot.

What system and service pack is this anyway?
jamo1133
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

OK my post with the patch is still in that thread - #5 I think. It's still active as I tried it.
Try the tips I already gave and don't forget to post what operating system and service pack this is.
jamo1133
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

Followed steps (from above post #5) and computer seems ok now - able to connect/disconnect to VPN without rebooting and able to switch desktop user without rebotting.

My computer is Windows XP Home Edition - SP3. Thanks.

That's great. As all seems OK now I'll mark this one as solved.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community