cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Artairus
Level 7

Cisco VPN client makes SecurityCenter flash

Upon launching Cisco Cache Cleaner for SSLVPN, or initially launching Cicso AnyConnect VPN Client, the McAfee Security Center --> Internet & Network tab flashes every 20 seconds and displays the following message: "Please wait until SecurityCenter finishes collecting your configuration details...". McAfee then minimizes and control is restored to me. I gave Cache Cleaner and the VPN client full access to the Internet in the Firewall.

Anyone know what could be invoking McAfee SecurityCenter every 20 seconds?

-----------------------------------------

Cisco Cache Cleaner for SSLVPN
Version: 3.30 Build 151

Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
Version: 2.2.0140

McAfee Security Center
Version: 9.0
Build: 9.0.295
Last update: 11/13/08

VirusScan
Version: 13.0
Build: 13.0.232
Last update: 02/09/09
Engine Version: 5300.2777

Personal Firewall
Version: 10.0
Build: 10.0.209
Last Update: 11/13/08
0 Kudos
8 Replies
vinod_r2
Level 11

RE: Cisco VPN client makes SecurityCenter flash

Does this occur when you use any other Anti-Virus application?
0 Kudos
Bijoy
Level 7

Just disable the McAfee splash screen at the start up and see whether it's making any difference..
0 Kudos
Artairus
Level 7

Tried disabling the splash screen, but to no avail. Am still holding out hope that switching AV products and/or uninstall & reinstall won't be necessary, because I'm on a corporate laptop and that'll require another act of Congress ;-).

It seems as though the firewall or the Security Center are detecting an event every 20 seconds or so, and responding to it by bring up the app, then closing it automatically after it's satisfied that nothing is amiss. If I can find out what it's querying perhaps I can disable that for the Cisco VPN, or just disable that check altogether.
0 Kudos
Artairus
Level 7

I've confirmed that it's MCShell.EXE being invoked every 20 seconds. If I rename it, the problem goes away, but of course the systray icon starts complaining that my PC is no longer protected. Ugh.
0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

To me it seems that CISCO is triggering some event to check the presence of firewall or AV suite... Wonder why you are using a Consumer product in a Corp. envirnoment:confused:
0 Kudos
Artairus
Level 7

That's a fair question. The answer is that I'm an independent consultant using my small business laptop (personal) to connect to my client's network (corporate). They dictate what's authorized on their employees' home computers if they want to connect (which is what I'm emulating). My alternative is to have them supply me with a true corporate laptop, but then I'd have to travel with two machines and one is enough of a pain to keep working and lug around ;-).
0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

Would you care to re-install the McAfee and check it out ?
0 Kudos
Artairus
Level 7

That's always the first step, isn't it - I wonder why software never installs correctly the first time, but the second time should fix it ;-). Actually, I'm working with the client's IT team to upgrade their firewall first, and failing that I'll have to go down the path of "uninstall and reinstall" the various components.
0 Kudos