I don't believe I had the problem before the latest update of Security Center. I am now on vers. 9.3 My desktop PC works fine. I was having a problem where my dat file was no longer valid. Whenever the automatic update ran, it ended with an error message: "An error has occurred in the update. Please reinstall 7-(?) McAfee Virus Scan Plus". I can't remember the word where the question mark is located. I get the same message if I try to manual start an update. If I try to run McAfee Virtual Technician, it tells me that my Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. I have discovered that if I hook up my laptop with an ethernet calbe to the router and turn off wireless mode. I can do everything just as I am able to do with my desktop. Everything hooks up and performs as designed. I have two wireless sources and in wireless mode, they both fail. The laptop running in wireless mode has no trouble hooking up with any of the other sites I visit on the internet. Is there something special about using McAfee Security Center on a wireless laptop? Any help would be appreciated.
Oh well, I fixed my own problem. Apparently after my laptop had got a malware about 3 1/2 weeks ago, it apparently went in and changed my TCP/IP property settings to 2 distinct DSN's. I reset it back to "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
Thanks for the heads-up on the follow up program scans. I just finished the MalWarebytes' and it found 11 instances of the trojan trail. It looks like McAfee's Stinger didn't do a complete job. It is always hard to tell what Stinger does, because he doesn't show anything for results. Stinger did get me going, though.
The registry had the data bytes of what I found the "preferred and alternate DNS's" set at. Apparently they were what were keeping me from getting to malware, antivirus and antispyware programs when I first got the bug.
I will be letting the Superantispyware run while I sleep tonight.
When I got the 11 hits with Malwarebytes, I had only ran the quick scan. This morning I ran Superantispyware and it found 537 cookie items in docs, so I ignored those. I then reran Malwarebytes full scan and did not find anything else. It did indicate a "PUP" with one of my code-breaker programs, so I ignored that also. I believe I'm OK now.