cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davehorne
Level 10

Can't right click McAfee system tray icon and McAfee shows as a blank white window

Jump to solution

If I right click on the McAfee icon in the system tray (in Vista Home Premium, SP2), nothing happens.  If I try and open McAfee from Start, I see a blank white window.

Suggestions on how to proceed?  Thanks, Dave Horne

on 5/23/11 3:02:19 PM CDT
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davehorne
Level 10

Re: Can't right click McAfee system tray icon and McAfee shows as a blank white window

Jump to solution

I"ve jumped through the hoops and everything now seems fine.  It would have been great to know the source of this particular problem.

Thanks!  DH

0 Kudos
27 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Can't right click McAfee system tray icon and McAfee shows as a blank white window

Jump to solution

Are you using Beta or RC (release candidate) editions of Internet Explorer by any chance?

0 Kudos
davehorne
Level 10

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit, it's been a while since I've had a problem.  I'm usng the latest version of Internet Explorer, version 9.  I just looked at the Help \ About and it says nothing about an RC or beta version as far as I can see. 

IE9 ... version 9.0.8112.16421  Update Version RTM   KB982861

... thanks, DH

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Did yoiu have a beta or RC version before and simply upgraded it rather than uninstall/reinstall?

The reason I'm asking about IE is that the interface is an actual IE page and the blank issue happened with various beta/rc editions of IE8 and 9.

Just to try, uninstall IE reboot and reinstall it.  It should be listed as an update.

0 Kudos
davehorne
Level 10

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit, this is getting interesting.  I uninstalled IE9 and if I right click _or_ left click on the McAfee system tray icon, nothing.  If I go to Windows Task Manager \ Processes, I see that mcagent.exe is running.  If I access McAfee from Start, I still see that blank white window and McAfee also shows up under Task Manager \ Applications.

So, it would seem that uninstalling IE9 did nothing.  Suggestions?

Thanks, DH

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Install IE9 again from Microsoft's web site.   Then uninstall McAfee, run the MCPR cleanup tool (Useful Links at the top of this page), reboot and reinstall from your online account.

I know that's asking a lot but this is a mystery and shouldn't be happening.

By any chance have you used a registry cleaner lately?  Those will almost definitely cause issues with Windows and software alike.

0 Kudos
davehorne
Level 10

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit, I do what you suggest.  I have not run any registry cleaners.  I'll report back when I've completed all these tasks.

Thanks again, DH

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

OK good luck. 

0 Kudos
davehorne
Level 10

Jump to solution

I"ve jumped through the hoops and everything now seems fine.  It would have been great to know the source of this particular problem.

Thanks!  DH

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Wow that's good.  It's really weird why this happens and you aren't the first person to complain about it either.

The trouble is none of us have experienced it.

Anyway, it looks like you are fine now, so good luck ;-)

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/05/11 7:20:08 EDT PM
0 Kudos