cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarahcct
Level 7

Can't open Security Center - asks to restart computer

Jump to solution

Within the past few weeks, Security Center automatically installed updates and I got a pop up window telling me to restart my computer, which I did.  I cannot open security center because I get a message that I must restart my computer, but I have restarted it numerous times.  I still get the pup up window.  Help please.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
k3tg
Level 14

Re: Can't open Security Center - asks to restart computer

Jump to solution

I would suggest you reinstall your software. Go to Add/Remove programs and reboot your computer. Then go to Useful Links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool to completely remove any remaining traces of the software that failed to remove via the normal way and reboot again. Then go to your online McAfee account and download and install your software. This should resolve your issue.

Let us know if this works for you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Jump to solution

I would suggest you reinstall your software. Go to Add/Remove programs and reboot your computer. Then go to Useful Links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool to completely remove any remaining traces of the software that failed to remove via the normal way and reboot again. Then go to your online McAfee account and download and install your software. This should resolve your issue.

Let us know if this works for you.

0 Kudos
Sarahcct
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi, Tom,

Thanks so much for your reply.  Your solution worked beautifully!

Sincerely,

Sarah

0 Kudos
c_gipper
Level 7

Jump to solution

The link to the MCPR is not working properly. I click it and it says it can't be found.

0 Kudos
snowyg
Level 9

Jump to solution

Why so many people used that MCPR I have no idea.Simply can't you remove it the normal way Add/Remove programs ?

0 Kudos
snowyg
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi,

This I think it is a known problem which is not hard to be resolved I think.

As I know there are 2 options when that issue occurs:

1st-check Start Up folder in the start menu - look of r $MCRebootrq$ looks like that way.

* Delete it and restart the PC and start the install it should work fine

2nd there is a reg key located in :

HKLM\Software|microsoft\windows\currentversion\Run and RunOnce -- look for $UninstallReboot Requiered" - delete it

HKCU\ the same path above - delete if you find the key

If you do that it should be fine

Hope it works

Message was edited by: snowyg on 11/24/10 1:29:58 PM EET
0 Kudos