cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ced2
Level 7

Blue Wheel shows on shield indefinitely - supposedly checking for updates

Jump to solution

I am running McAfee Personal Firewall Plus, subscription via MSN and Windows 7.

I have "automatic updates" set to NOTIFY  when updates are available - whenever the notification comes, we do install them, so we are up-to-date.

For the last few weeks, the "blue wheel" will appear on the McAfee shield in the system tray and shows for over a half hour.  It does not go away until we intercede by opening Security Center.  We then click the update window and the screen shows progress, and "checking for updates" and goes through progress % very quickly.  It usually does not find any updates.

I thought McAfee was is checking for updates when the blue wheel appears, but am no longer sure because there is no message when hovering over the shield . 

When we do get the "Notification" of updates, the message comes without first seeing the blue wheel.  Then when we say OK to install updates ,the blue wheel does appear and hovering correctly shows % download and installing. 

This has become very frustrating, because when the blue wheel appears, we are expecting McAfee to do something, but it just sits there.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Blue Wheel shows on shield indefinitely - supposedly checking for updates

Jump to solution

There is a fix due out in the coming weeks, now being tested in the beta products.

Meanwhile just ignore the false alarm that blue circle causes.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

There is a fix due out in the coming weeks, now being tested in the beta products.

Meanwhile just ignore the false alarm that blue circle causes.

0 Kudos
ced2
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick response.  We will sit tight for a few weeks hoping this will be resolved.

I did not think community should show NAMES - just user ids.  If this is really showing my name to the Community I am very disappointed in McAfee.  - after reading this, please delete all references to my name.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I hope so as I'm a "victim" too....!

0 Kudos
kentuckygin
Level 7

Jump to solution

Anything further on this?  I'm still seeing the gray wheel (I'm on a diet, so I'm inclined to think of it as a donut.)

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

You certainly have a 'Sense of Humor'... Your last comment made me chuckle. The fix for the Spinning Arrow/Checking for updates should be fixed in MSC v14.0.5084/5120

I say this because it resolved it for me after being updated to the Versions/Builds mentioned above.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

What affid number are you affid 0 has been rolled out mostly now they are working through the partners such as acer/Dell/ isps etc.

0 Kudos
kentuckygin
Level 7

Jump to solution

14.0.4121     affid 105

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Same engine version as me, it should update soon to at least 5084 or even 5120 which cures the issue..

kentuckygin
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks!  I've bookmarked this thread...just in case.

0 Kudos