As part of my workflow, I use a Windows 7 search to find and remove "Debug" folders from a development environment (so a search like "name: Debug kind: folder"). This was working great until a few weeks ago when McAfee upgraded intself to Security Center 2010. Immediately after this update, the aforementioned search failed to return any hits. I did do an online chat with a McAfee technician who claimed that he had never heard of this problem. Nevertheless, I removed McAfee from the computer and reinstalled version 2009 and the search functionality came back as per normal.
Yesterday, McAfee yet again upgraded automatically to Security Center 2010 and the Windows 7 search function is again non-operable.
A couple of other facts:
a. With McAfee 2010 installed, a "reindexing" for Windows Search stops after about 1000 files.
b. I did find a single reference out on the Web that suggested that this problem is due to McAfee treating a certain standard Windows file as containing a virus.
FYI - The computer exhibiting this problem is a HP laptop running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
Thoughts on this ?
You may want to try to run the McAfee Virtual Technician found under Useful Links at the top of this page under Technical Support. MVT will scan your computer for McAfee related issues and will attempt to fix any it finds. It will generate a report number which you should post here on the forum for the moderator to reference. You may also want to try Technical Support Chat for another opinion. It is possible the agent you initially contacted may not have been knowledgble with the issue you have, but perhaps another agent may know of something to do. If you do not feel as though your are getting anywhere, you could ask to have this escalated to the next higher tier of support and insist on a case number and reference it here on the forum. As it is the 4th of July holiday weekend you may not here from any McAfee personell till Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile a volunteer moderator may chime in and add something or suggest something that they have run into in the past that could get you up and running sooner.
Lionel, currently there is a compatibility issues with the Windows 7 64bit operating system and McAfee software. We need to discuss the issue with our development team. We will give you a call back after this. Please let me know your convenient time tomorrow
gees there is no issue except the BSOD issue that some get both Ex_brit and I use win 7 64 bit and it is totally stable.
It is time to chase them up via our techs. Have you a job number for the call?
Ok search works fine if indexing off correct?
You haven't any such things as google desktop installed?
Will pass on what you reply back with
Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/07/10 12:12:17 PMMessage was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/07/10 12:18:09 PM
Well the job number for the second chat started at 528095668 - but that tech escalated me to another level. I don't have a new number for that escalation - maybe it all happens under the same job number. The technician was TitusJ.
I do **not** have Google Desktop installed.
I do have a couple of versions of Visual Studio and several versions of SQL Server, but other than that, nothing terribly special.
I have disabled Windows Search indexing by setting the Windows Search Windows Service mode to "Disabled" (otherwise, it restarts after a few seconds) and then stopping the service. The search function then returns the correct results.
Well, I did get a call from a McAfee tech asking if "I was satisfied that the reported problem was solved". Uh - no, because nothing has been done !!
Anyway, this technician took over my machine, uninstalled McAfee 2010 and then started going through the registry and removing all references to McAfee. This was taking a long time, so I offered to complete this step at a later time because I needed to use the machine. He agreed and asked me to re-download and install McAfee. I went ahead and completed the registyr purging and re-downloaded McAfee - but, of course, it downloaded McAfee 2009 (despite what the technician said it would do).
With McAfee 2009 installed, Windows Search functions just fine with or without the indexing service turned on.
Eventually, this morning McAfee updated automatically to Mc Afee 2010 and the search function has stopped working again - all very consistent with what I have been seeing all the way along.
If I attempt a reindexing, I do get these events in the Windows event log:
I've sort of given up on this getting fixed in the short term. I did get a voicemail from yet another McAfee technician wanting to followup on this. However, I'm pretty certain based on my previous interaction with McAfee technicians that I would have to explain the situation yet again and that this new technician would go through similar steps to this colleagues. I don't have time to give up my machine for yet another session by McAfee tech support.
I'll just live with it by leaving Windows Search indexing turned off. For the searches that I do to get my work done, accuracy is much more important than speed.
Presumably, if I'm seeing this problem, other people will as well; so at some stage, McAfee will get around to fixing the problem (I hope). I'll keep checking periodically.
Thanks for help
Actually we got our Tech to check up on the bug list and this bug is reported and being looked at.namely
Windows Search Service can't rebuild the Search Index after installing the