cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Harman
Level 7

Any clues? Total Protection 2010 vanishes from "My Account", previous uninstalled McAFee product reappears but lapsed

With my McAfee Security Center expiring on 3 April, in late March I bought Total Protection 2010, uninstalled Security Center and successfully downloaded and installed Total Protection 2010. I have endured all the usual joys of ownership of Total Protection 2010 (i.e. the failure to deliver the data protection and PC Optimisation functionality until a few days ago; the 5958 DAT file shambles, etc).

On Sunday (which perhaps coincidentally was 30 days after the expiry date of the old product), TotalProtection 2010 vanishes from my machine, and is replaced by the old Security Center product and a warning that I am unprotected.

Concurrently, "MyAccount" no longer shows me as having bought the TotalProtection 2010 product.

Have others had this issue, and what is the solution?

(my machine is a Dell, running XP Home. The old McAFee product came pre-installed with the machine but was properly uninstalled and then blitzed for good measure with MCPR.exe).

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Any clues? Total Protection 2010 vanishes from "My Account", previous uninstalled McAFee product reappears but lapsed

Are you sure you didn't do a System Restore or your system perhaps crashed and restored itself to "Last known good configuration"?  As far as the account goes you should call them or use the Customer Service online chat to sort out what should or should not be appearing on your account.

http://service.mcafee.com/CustomerService.aspx?lc=3081&sg=CS&pt=1

Out of curiosity what kind of Dell machine is this and running what operating system and service pack?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/05/10 10:57:09 EDT AM
0 Kudos
Harman
Level 7

Re: Any clues? Total Protection 2010 vanishes from "My Account", previous uninstalled McAFee product reappears but lapsed

Thanks Peter.

Appreciate your comments, but even in my dumber moments, I think I know when I have done a System Restore.

As to 'last known good configuration', I don't think that has occured.

I suspect it's an administrative problem within the McAfee empire somewhere. I bought the TotalProtection 2010 product online from an authorised McAfee distributor here in Australia. My guess is that the combination of the original Dell-sourced product that I uninstalled (but which never removed itself from "MyAccount") and the new product from an authorised McAfee distributor (which was showing on "MyAccount" until Sunday with an expiry date of April 2011) is too complex for the back office admin systems to cope with.

I have emailed the nominated customer support. We'll see what happens.

My machine is  Dell Dimension E520, Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3.

Message was edited by: Harman on 3/05/10 3:50:53 PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Sorry, I wasn't trying to insinuate your were dumb, but stranger things have happened with no user interraction involved.

Email is probably the slowest way of solving the account issue.  If you don't get a timely response I suggest phoning them.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/05/10 5:16:55 EDT PM
0 Kudos
Harman
Level 7

Phoned customer support as you suggested.

They confirmed that my subscription still has 11 months to run.

Was advised to uninstall; MCPR; reinstall.

Have done that. Seems to have worked. Subscription is now showing 19 March 2011 (i.e. I am now back to where I was on Saturday, before this latest gift from McAfee).

No explanation offered as to why a working installation that has been 'stable' (if you ignore 'triffling' matters like the 5958 DAT stuff-up which crippled my machine and required me to do things to the innards of my machine that no ordinary consumer should ever be required to do) should suddenly go back to an earlier uninstalled product.

When will it take it upon itself to turn back the clock again?

With all due respect to the fine people on this forum (and Ex-Brit, you must be in line for a sainthood), life shouldn't be this complicated. I don't spend hours on the Champion user group forum trying to get my car's spark plugs to work as advertised.

Makes you wonder how much worse going unprotected and dropping all anti-virus products really would be.

(by the way, no sign of a response to my email support request)

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Who knows?  McAfee works in strange ways at times.  But then so do a lot of things.

Glad that at least things are back to normal now and thanks for the thought re: sainthood...gave me a good laugh.

0 Kudos