cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SilvrDrgn
Level 7

After latest McAfee update mcshield.exe using 100% CPU for extended periods of time

I have a 5-user license for Internet Security Suite. After the latest McAfee update which required a restart of each system per the McAfee popup box, the mcshield.exe process is using 100% CPU for extended periods of time on every system! For example, if I right-click on a file in Windows Explorer to bring up the context menu, mcshield.exe will consume 100% CPU for a minimum of 30 seconds. On the slower machines, it stays that way for up to two minutes! It also happens when I try to start up some software programs like various Nero components.

This issue is extremely problematic on my two single core systems. On my two dual-core systems, it pegs one of the cores to 100% (system overall 50% busy) and on my one quad core system it pegs one core to 100% (system overall 25% busy). Nothing else has changed (i.e. no software installs or removals) on any of these systems, but the mcshield.exe CPU usage problem is happening on all of them!

Please advise!
0 Kudos
37 Replies
sjongeurts
Level 7

RE: After latest McAfee update mcshield.exe using 100% CPU for extended periods of time

Same problem here. The problem will only occur on windows xp home machines. I have windows vista pc's that runs the same version but have no problems.
0 Kudos
SilvrDrgn
Level 7

RE: After latest McAfee update mcshield.exe using 100% CPU for extended periods of time

Correction: The issue appears to be happening only on my Windows XP machines (all versions - Media Center, XP Pro, Home Edition).
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

RE: After latest McAfee update mcshield.exe using 100% CPU for extended periods of time

These are XP SP3 I trust? It obviously shouldn't be happening. Do you any software installed that could be seen to clash with McAfee?

As we are in the middle of a weekend with no technicians posting, it may be best to try approaching Technical Support Chat at top left of the page or in my signature.
0 Kudos
SilvrDrgn
Level 7

RE: After latest McAfee update mcshield.exe using 100% CPU for extended periods of time

Yes, they are all SP3. No other anti-virus, spyware, adware, malware, etc. software is installed. As this is happening on multiple machines, this has to be a McAfee "mcshield.exe" software process issue.

I have already had two sessions with the Support Chat people. No resolution so far.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

RE: After latest McAfee update mcshield.exe using 100% CPU for extended periods of time

Can you run the Virtual Technician (MVT) also in my signature and post the session ID please?

I'll flag it for a technician to look at. They are higher up the ladder than the Chat people.
0 Kudos
SilvrDrgn
Level 7

RE: After latest McAfee update mcshield.exe using 100% CPU for extended periods of time

Session ID: 20446473
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

RE: After latest McAfee update mcshield.exe using 100% CPU for extended periods of time

Let me pass this on. I probably wont get a response until tomorrow.

By the way, the Chat people can escalate a case if asked to.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

RE: After latest McAfee update mcshield.exe using 100% CPU for extended periods of time

While you are waiting run the free version of these two tools to see if there's any malware:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
0 Kudos
SilvrDrgn
Level 7

RE: After latest McAfee update mcshield.exe using 100% CPU for extended periods of time

I ran the two scans, which took quite a while. SuperAntiSpyware found 33 low priority tracking cookies, but nothing else. A lot of them were from legitimate sites that I visit. I went ahead and removed them anyway. The MalwareBytes scan found "two rogue setup programs." McAfee never reported they had viruses. I went ahead and had that scan remove them anyway.

Some more actions I took today were to completely uninstall all of my McAfee software from my PC. I then ran the McAfee Customer Products Removal tool, saved its log and rebooted. I redownloaded and reinstalled my McAfee producted, and rebooted again. Unfortunately, the CPU usage problem of the "mcshield.exe" process still occurs.
0 Kudos