With McAfee 2008 and 2007, resources were usually used at startup and when updates were taking place. During regular internet use at most a few % of CPU (Windows XP), negligible.
Not anymore. Although it's still true for most of the time, occasionally a significant % of my CPU is used by McAfee software, most notably mcupdmgr.exe (or something like that), sometimes different processes, and svchost.exe (!). Not related to any actual updating taking place. I did not put new security software on my computer.
I'm not pleased with that. What's going on ? Some 'in the cloud' computing ? Or just pointless resource hogging ?
I've been experiencing the issue for about a month. The only solution that proven even minimally effective so far has been to delete the offending file. In my case, it was mcsync.exe. Sure, I'm getting all sorts of "you need to update now" messages from the Security Center, but at least I'm able to use my computer until McAfee fixes this or I switch to another anti-virus program.
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one! In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, not from any CD that you may have.
Or a combination of any of the above.
Your best bet is to contact Technical Support who can escalate the case and even go into your machine if necessary.