cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ma9004
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

following my adventures on PortalShield 3.5 (access to console denied)

Hi All

i finished to install MSMS 3.5 on our farm TEST environement.

According to logs  : installation succeed

Installation was made using farm account !

In my farm i have two WFE - MSMS is installed on these two WFE.

farm account is admin local on these WFE.

One of these WFE hosts the SH central admin.

One these WFE, i have :

-service McaFee Portalshield correctly runing:

-PSPickerx64srv correctly running with the farm account :

-Web site "PortalShield" for the UI console correctly created running with app pool "MSMSAppPool" under farm acount :

BUT when i start the web site i get this message ONLY in one WFE, it succeed in the WFE which hosts the central admin.

I can swear the two WFE are similar.

The only difference is that one of them hosts the central admin.

Message was edited by: ma ma

8 Replies
Reliable Contributor Aidan
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: following my adventures on PortalShield 3.5 (access to console denied)

MSME Access control on each server

<msms install folder>:\bin\sdedit.exe - right click run with admin (start -progs -mcafee - msms - access control)

Make sure your admin credentials are listed in both servers access control as allowed

ma9004
Level 7
Message 3 of 9

The content of the security tab is absolutly the same for the two servers:

my account is part of local administrators, i even add my admin account nominatively to be sure that i have access, but always the same issue on the second WFE.

i am fed up ...

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Local url is http://localhost:45900/PortalShield/

So if you test from remote server/workstation http://<IP Address>:45900/PortalShield/

Does this prompt you for credentials and if you supply the correct credentials does it work??

OR log on as one of the Local Admins in the access control list in WFE2

Right-click iexplorer.exe - run as admin

add http://localhost:45900/PortalShield/ in url bar

Do either of these work ??

ma9004
Level 7
Message 5 of 9

Thanks Aidan

but unfortunately no effect

I think there is something in javascript code in HTML page that causes this issue.

let me be more clear :

• WFE1 (the one which hosts CA) : hotname =wfe1
  • WFE2 (the one which does not let its Web UI console to show correctly ) hostname =wfe2

If I log as admin farm, start IE in admin mode i get these result :

Futher informations:

When i restarted the WFE2, as cache is empty, requesting http://wfe2:45900/PortalShield/​ takes a little bit time more but it shows CORRECTLY (PortalShield/0409/html/Index.html) for a fraction of a second and then basculates to error ("Either the McAfee® PortalShield™ service is currently not running or you do not have sufficient privileges.")

From Sharepoint, i configure antivirus to only scan on upload direction.

the two wfe are behind a round robin load balancer.

When WFE1 is the sollicited one, uploading file works and from the console ( http://wfe1:45900/PortalShield/0409/html/Index.html) i can see the trace of the uploaded file.

When WFE2 is the sollicited one, uploading file works and and i can not see the trace of the uploaded file in the console ( http://wfe1:45900/PortalShield/0409/html/Index.html​)

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

The fact you get the "service is not running" screen suggests access is being denied someheres .... that is actually an xml file from the msms site which is a redirect for inabillity to run or access interface.

Try this - stop MSMS service on WFE2 (ensure safeservice.exe, rpcserv.exe(2), postgres.exe (several) and PsPickerx64Srv.exe all leave task manager.

In <msms install folder>\config  renam all the xmls to .old

Access WFE1 - <msms install folder>\config

Copy all the xmls from that folder to <msms install folder>\config on WFE2.

Try start service and access if it fails would be advisable to get a case open in support possible to get debug of service start up and accessing interface

ma9004
Level 7
Message 7 of 9

Hi Aidan,

tried it no change !

I tried also to debug javascript files comparing the cases.

i noticed that the case where it works (wfe1) a request to dynamicpage.dll is done

whereas no request occurs in wfe2

dynamicpage.dll is localised in C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\McAfee PortalShield\ui\cgi-bin\dynamic

i checked permission to that file : it is the same in both case.

may be this can help you...

ma9004
Level 7
Message 8 of 9

found it !!

the application pool hosting the web site http://wfe2:45900/PortalShield/​ is named MSMSAppPool

The auto generated config file for MSMSAppPool and located in "C:\inetpub\temp\appPools\MSMSAppPool" is missing an element

under <configuration\security\isapiCgiRestriction> section :

<add path="C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\McAfee PortalShield\ui\cgi-bin\dynamic\DynamicPage.dll" allowed="true" groupId="PortalShield Extensions" description="PortalShield Extensions" />

this corrects the issue.

for correcting this, top level of IIS :

then add :

path="C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\McAfee PortalShield\ui\cgi-bin\dynamic\DynamicPage.dll" allowed="true" groupId="PortalShield Extensions" description="PortalShield Extensions"

Last question is now why "MSMS3.5 Install setup" did not write this in the applicationHost.config ?

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 9

With that removed or set "NOT Allowed" I get HTTP Error 401.2 error "invalid authenticaton headers"

This doesn't even allow me to get to the <msms install folder>\ui\<lang>\html\NoConfig.html  - which is the "service is not running" page you were getting redirected to.

So was unsure that it was caused by inability to get to anything at all on the site.

To be quite honest never saw before - and that is a great find .... I had a quick look at my install log and I cannot see this being done in MSI - suggests its a call to instalhelper or call to another script or exe.   If I can find anything on reason I'll post it here ....

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.