I am looking for some guidance on how to setup a ODS for MSMS 3.5.
The setup is as follows:
- Sharepoint Foundation 2013 with 2 WFE's on which MSMS 3.5 (with the latest hotfixes) is installed
- Separate servers Webapplication server and SQL
- Both servers are managed by ePO 5.3.2
I am not a ll to familiar aith sharepoint roles so I hope I got enough detail here...
I have the following questions:
1) From which server is it best to initiate the ODS from? The productguide of MSMS states the following:
When you configure on-demand or scheduled scans in an environment where McAfee Security for
Microsoft SharePoint is not installed on the application servers, the entire database contents are
retrieved from the application servers and streamed over the network to the WFE for scanning. In
such cases, it can be beneficial to install McAfee Security for Microsoft SharePoint locally on the
application servers to minimize bandwidth usage.
When the ODS is started on an applaction server it will still have to fetch the data from the database and traverse the network. What is the difference between an ODS started from an WFE?
2) When I try to setup an ODS in ePO I am not able to browse the webapplication folders. I can browse the webapplication folders when I create an ODS in the MSMS UI locally on the server.
Background: I had trouble installing MSMS using ePO so I installed it manually. At some point I had to enter sharepoint credentials which allows the software to access SP. I suppose ePO lacks these permissions which is why I am not able to browse Web app folders?
I read somewhere that it is best to create an ODS task for each webapplication folder. So how do I do this (from ePO) in a dynamic environment where new folders are created frequently? Or is it sufficient to setup an ODS per web app?
We have had issues with OAS where large files where timing out on AV regurarly on download.. Working with McAfee support it was concluded that decompressing certain file types (.wmv) was taking a lot of time resulting in a timeout So they advised us to stop scanning on download (but keep scanning on upload active) and setup regular ODS to scan the files in the DB.
What are best practises to set this up?
I plan to setup a resumable scan outside business hours to scan for x hours, and resume it the next day. In this way every file in the db gets scanned regurlary. Any comments/advise?
3) Is there a risk when setting up the ODS with th deafult setting: "Scan only Document Library"
I hope the community can help me out here to get me on my way. Thanks a lot in advance.