Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mehmetemin
Level 7

Waiting more than 1 hour for cpserviced to stop when upgrading 9.5.2 to 9.6 MR6

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've an issue at vm12 500 combobox (allinone) SIEM,

At system logs (/var/log/messages) i see that waiting for cpserviced to stop line when upgrading the system 9.5.2 to 9.6 MR6

I've also opened a case to the support but maybe you can help me about should i stop cpserviced by kill process or should i wait for the normal process?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmc
Level 12

Re: Waiting more than 1 hour for cpserviced to stop when upgrading 9.5.2 to 9.6 MR6

Jump to solution

This is possibly due to

• The database encountered an error and is unable to be rebuilt.
  • The database is not rebuilding, but has stopped and needs to be restarted.
  • Other system problems.

Check is any process stuck in Zombi state by using the below command

ps aufx | grep cpservice                           

root      1663 91.0 0.0      0     0 ? Zl    

You can try to kill this kind of PID and check if it works?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kmc
Level 12

Re: Waiting more than 1 hour for cpserviced to stop when upgrading 9.5.2 to 9.6 MR6

Jump to solution

This is possibly due to

• The database encountered an error and is unable to be rebuilt.
  • The database is not rebuilding, but has stopped and needs to be restarted.
  • Other system problems.

Check is any process stuck in Zombi state by using the below command

ps aufx | grep cpservice                           

root      1663 91.0 0.0      0     0 ? Zl    

You can try to kill this kind of PID and check if it works?

0 Kudos
mehmetemin
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi

The ps aufx output is like :

root 22937 0.0 0.0 2884 572 S+   ....... \_grep cpservice

root 21747 0.0 0.0 186292 6652 Ss ...... /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/cpservicectl

root 5942 28.1 1.3 3664932 428992 Dl ....... \_ /usr/local/ess/cpserviced /usr/local/ess

root 26540 0.0 0.0 44688 13256 S ...... \_ /usr/bin/perl /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K50cpservice stop

Could you describe this? Thanks.

0 Kudos
kmc
Level 12

Jump to solution

Looks normal, what did the support team said about it??

0 Kudos
mehmetemin
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi ​ , ​;

First support said : "do not kill the services" then i sent them the output about messages,NitroErrorlog he said that yes you could kill the cpserviced and dbserverd.

I've killed them and rebooting has started but 15 minutes no changes have occured. We powered off the the system through the VM console and powered on again. 1 night later finally we could log in successfully.

My experience about that wait 1-2 hours but if anything there are no changes kill the services (cpservice, dbserverd)

Thanks.

BR

abanaru
Level 11

Jump to solution

I my experience with ESM upgrades it's best to just wait and don't rush things. Depending on the size of the database the rebuild might take some time.

Yes, in your case you might have an issue but waiting one hour it really isn't that much :-)

If you need some help with which commands to fix this we can help you.

0 Kudos