Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r_gine
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Use-case: RDP Activity

Does anyone have any solid SIEM Ace rules setup to detect anomalous RDP activity in your environment? I was think possibly deviation based rules grouped by source user where there’s a significant deviation in successful type 10 Windows logins. If an attacker compromised credentials I suspect they would pivot using those credentials and potentially exceed a baseline for that users normal RDP activity. Is ESM capable of associating RDP logon hosts to a user id? For example it might be normal for user bob to RDP to server1, server2 and server3 but not dbserver1 and dbserver2. So alerting on a user RDPing to servers they’ve never RDPed to before might be interesting too. Not sure if mcafee ESM can do that.
Labels (1)
1 Reply
Reliable Contributor brenta
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Use-case: RDP Activity

Trying to get this data from the windows logs, is sometimes not the best idea. 

If an attacker has DA credentials, they can simply disable your logging. I'd likely suggest looking at firewall data, assuming you log intra-zone traffic. It will also show you attempts to access these ports, even if they are unsuccessful, which could indicate a scan of your networks RDP ports, etc...

On a side note often "deny" events are more interesting than they are given credit for. If a workstation is accessing a bunch of rdp ports all over the network, even if they are denied, that workstation should still be investigated. 

Brent
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator