cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary HA Receiver: Won't Come Out of Standby Mode

On ESMI, Receiver Properties say Primary HA Status: online, Secondary HA Status: standby.

So I click on High Availability -> Return to Service -> Secondary.

Eventually I get two dialogue boxes saying: "The device was successfully brought back online.", then "High Availability Sync Receiver Settings was successful"

Receiver Properties shows secondary HA status = online and ha_status on secondary concurs.

Then, after a minute or so, Receiver Properties shows secondary status = standby and ha_status ...

Primary
McAfee1-ERC-4600 ~ # ha_status
Ok
hostname=McAfee1
mode=primary
McAfee1=online
McAfee2=standby
sharedIP=McAfee1
stonith=None
corosync=running
hi_bit=no
McAfee1-ERC-4600 ~ #

Secondary
McAfee2-ERC-4600 ~ # ha_status
Ok
hostname=McAfee2
mode=offline
McAfee2=standby
McAfee1=online
sharedIP=Stopped
stonith=None
corosync=running
hi_bit=yes
McAfee2-ERC-4600 ~ #

ifconfig on both receivers looks good (Primary eth0 IP = pri. management IP, Primary eth1 = shared IP, Secondary eth0 IP = sec. management IP, Secondary eth1 = <not set>)

Any ideas?

5 Replies

Re: Secondary HA Receiver: Won't Come Out of Standby Mode

Did you try to run some query on it?

The Primary seems to be behaving normally. However, with Secondary = standby, we have no failover capability.

rcavey
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Have a look at the last 100 lines of these files:

/var/log/messages

/var/log/IPaddrMAC.log

/var/log/ha_nicmon.log

See if there is ha-info.sh script on the system for some reason that did not make it into my notes but we used on a prior ticket..

Otherwise, try this command.

#> crm status    ## HA native status tool

If you think there are no stoppers from the above logs/output you could try:

#secondary#> ha_statuschange --online

rcavey
Level 9
Message 5 of 6

Soooo, after quite a few months of no issues... we encountered this yesterday.   syslogs/events dropping on the floor = BAD ( listening McAfee ??)

Two HA pairs in our one facility both stopped getting events. After investigation, we found neither receiver in both sets of HA pairs had the shared IP and ha_status showed mode=offline on primary and mode=standby on the other (that is from memory which was relayed to me from the person on-site)

The fix was executing "ha_statuschange --online" on the primary receiver and we were back in business.

Why McAfee does not parse ha_status output to show in the GUI is beyond me ( I relayed this in a SR this past year ) as it CLEARLY gives evidence that neither receiver is primary ( never give up unless one system is primary ) which could then trigger a event/Alarm.

Cheers,

-Bob

Mikelb
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

Hi rcavey

Interestingly we had something similar this week too.  One of our HA ERC cluster has both nodes in an offline state.  We had to "Return to Service" them both.  Fingers crossed McAfee start sending these sorts of events into ESM so they can alert on.

I am running 9.4.0 20130903 - have been having loads of issues since our upgrade.  Prior to that 9.3.2 for 8 months with zero issues.

Cheers

Mike

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community