cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Report Confermation

Jump to solution

Is there any way to get any confermation that a report has been sent to a customer?
Our system sends out tens of automatic reports to our customers and we have no manual way of confirming that the reports were actually sent from the SIEM system with the appropriate information.
The real problem would be that a customer won't be getting a report for months before *he* would need to point out that he didn't get the report (Could be because of a misconfiguration issue such as a sender not detailed or an error with one of the quaries which create the report).

Has anyone else faced a simmliar issue and if so how have you over come it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor brenta
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: Report Confermation

Jump to solution

A misconfigured query? You mean a query that returns no results? You should still get a report of 0 length.

You can watch the "(Local ESM)" events for report errors. I don't know the entire list of events you might want to watch, but this could be helpful.

Rule Name: ESM failed to Send E-Mail
Signature ID: 306-56
Rule Name: Task (query) terminated
Signature ID: 306-54

They could be reasons why a report would fail.

Brent
4 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Maybe just send yourself a copy as well? Lots of things can go wrong with emails, they can be denied because of various factors.

Your SMTP server should have this information, maybe collect it with the SIEM?

Brent

Jump to solution
Hey there Brenta, thank you for the quick reply.
Sadly sending a copy to myself is a non-stackable solution as it requires for an analyst to manually confirm the arrival of each report and email. When you have 50 emails going out daily in different hours sending 50 copies to yourself and trying to track after them isn't very applicable.

Well having the information from the SMTP server is possible if the problem is that the email didn't go through the SMTP server. What do I do in cases where the report wasn't even generated by the siem for a service error or a quary being misconfigured?
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

A misconfigured query? You mean a query that returns no results? You should still get a report of 0 length.

You can watch the "(Local ESM)" events for report errors. I don't know the entire list of events you might want to watch, but this could be helpful.

Rule Name: ESM failed to Send E-Mail
Signature ID: 306-56
Rule Name: Task (query) terminated
Signature ID: 306-54

They could be reasons why a report would fail.

Brent

Jump to solution
Thank you Brent! this is a great solution for my problem.
I have already implemented these alarms. Thank you for your time and help.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center