cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zdeng
Level 7

Nitro/ELM data archival/Syslog forwarding doesn't work

I am new with Nitro and get problem with my Nitro 9.6 when want to forward ELM/Receiver's raw syslog message out to my syslog server.

1.configured new data source and feed it with syslog messages continuously, noticed the messages were coming to the new Data source on port 514 and were showed up on steam viewer as expected.

2.configured Data Archival from Receiver/ELM Configuration and gave Syslog Forwarding destination ip(v4) address and port (tried both tcp and udp ( 8514 and 2514)), but, never saw any packet/syslog message on destination box.

Please help and just let me know if you need more information.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Nitro/ELM data archival/Syslog forwarding doesn't work

Moved from Buisness > Community Support > Security Information and Event Management > (Siem) >  Discussions  for better Assistance.

Cliff

Consumer Products Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

To send logs to the ELM, check the Logging box under each data source and associate it to the ELM pool. Syslog forwarding the logs to the ELM is not required and would not work. The Receiver sends logs to the ELM either when they reach 5 megs in size or are 4 hours old. Thanks.

0 Kudos
zdeng
Level 7

thank you for the reply. it work now and sounds Nitro take over all control of the box, include iptables/firewall, the configuration changes such as 'write device/data source settings to receiver' will cause new rules are added to firewall by Nitro and block other boxes connecting Nitro. More, make sure your syslog server listen 'raw' syslog from Nitro on UDP.

0 Kudos