cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

New users in appliance?

Jump to solution

Hi.

It's possible create new users in ESM appliance? We have root account, but we want another account for HelpDesk (24/7) to make some procedures if it was necessary.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor brenta
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

Re: New users in appliance?

Jump to solution

As you can see, making more accounts is likely to break things at some point.

There however is a potential option. You may want to consider having the support team create key pair and give you the public key, and installing it on the ESM. This way they can also use the root account, but you will know when they do by the signature of the ssh key used. I'm not 100% sure this directly supported in the GUI. However, I can "imagine" a way to create this effect using only the GUI.

Brent
4 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

You are speaking of shell accounts right?

Probably best not to make more of them as upgrades may tamper with the user databases, did you need this other account to also have root level privledges?

Brent

Jump to solution

Yes. We need an account to support 24x7 team, to check some services and start/stop if it was necessary

Regards

McAfee Employee rherbst
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

This is not recommended. As per KB82505 > recommended best practices for the security and stability of the SIEM system are to avoid changing the system and avoid operating the system outside of the graphical user interface. Normal product operation and configuration are performed strictly through the graphical user interface.

You may check if healthmonitoring,  snmp traps/requests can provide you with sufficient monitoring.

If you want to see additional functionality added please raise a Product Idea as per KB60021. 

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

As you can see, making more accounts is likely to break things at some point.

There however is a potential option. You may want to consider having the support team create key pair and give you the public key, and installing it on the ESM. This way they can also use the root account, but you will know when they do by the signature of the ssh key used. I'm not 100% sure this directly supported in the GUI. However, I can "imagine" a way to create this effect using only the GUI.

Brent
McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.