Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SSSSYYYY
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

We have WMI data sources with "use rpc" checked. In the last couple of days, some data sources went inactive, when test connection we get a "WMI Event Log test connection unsuccessful. result was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED". 

Not sure what's causing this all of a sudden. Anyone else seen this issue? Could it be related to latest MS patching or something? I am seeing this across different environments.

3 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4

Re: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Removed.

erelleke
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 4

This could be several reasons from password was changed to permission issues. I would look in the windows events of the systems showing access denied and see why the access is denied.

Thank You,
Eric
SSSSYYYY
Level 10
Message 4 of 4

We are using the same service account, with domain admin rights.

I am starting to wonder if the recent June Microsoft Patching has something to do with this. There's a patch for CVE-2021-1678 which hardened RPC binding. 

So far I've tested, on the same data source:

- with use RPC enabled, test connection shows NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED, (this only requires TCP 445)

- uncheck RPC, test connection successful. (this requires a lot more ports to be opened)

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community