cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPS Signature-based Correlation Rule

Jump to solution

I'm looking for some suggestions as I'm going completely blank on how to approach the creation of a correlation rule. The rule I'm trying to define is to alert our team in the event one IP address has attempted 3+ different attacks as if they're attempting to scan our environment for attack vectors (with the exception of vulnerability scanners). I was attempting to do something with Standard Deviation, but I'm just not able to logically formulate a way to detect this without causing an extreme amount of false positives. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to implement this logic into a correlation rule or alarm?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee mherr
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: IPS Signature-based Correlation Rule

Jump to solution

Since you identified the threshold of 3+, I wouldn't venture down the standard deviation path.

I don't know the IPS you are working with and what the events actually look like, but you could do something like this:

Group by: Source IP
AND(

Normalization Rule IN Exploit, Recon, DOS, Suspicious Activity   
Device Type ID IN <Device Type ID for your IPS>
)
Advanced Options of Filter:
Check the Distinct Values box
Distinct Values: 3
Monitored Fields: Signature ID

Number of Events: 1
Time Window: 10 mins (Whatever makes sense for your environment and your testing)

You are basically looking for someone probing, which I think there is a rule for that, but this could be a little more focused based on your criteria.  You can adjust the normalization values and/or the filter based on the activity you see in the SIEM. 

1 Reply
Highlighted
McAfee Employee mherr
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: IPS Signature-based Correlation Rule

Jump to solution

Since you identified the threshold of 3+, I wouldn't venture down the standard deviation path.

I don't know the IPS you are working with and what the events actually look like, but you could do something like this:

Group by: Source IP
AND(

Normalization Rule IN Exploit, Recon, DOS, Suspicious Activity   
Device Type ID IN <Device Type ID for your IPS>
)
Advanced Options of Filter:
Check the Distinct Values box
Distinct Values: 3
Monitored Fields: Signature ID

Number of Events: 1
Time Window: 10 mins (Whatever makes sense for your environment and your testing)

You are basically looking for someone probing, which I think there is a rule for that, but this could be a little more focused based on your criteria.  You can adjust the normalization values and/or the filter based on the activity you see in the SIEM. 

ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.