cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Conversation methods

Jump to solution

Hey guys, I have two data sources which aren't sending out IP Addresses the "conventional way" one of them is the Checkpoint.
The checkpoint sends out an address such as "177958687". The ESM is able to convert this into a regular ipv4 address, I am wondering what is the original format CheckPoint is sending this information in? I'd like to take an address like this and be able to convert it outside the ESM for that I need to know what format is it sending in. 
The second data source is Netscaler, the netscaler is sending me an IP address in Hexadecimal. Is the ESM able to convert Hexa to a regular IP address? If I put a hexa in an IP Address field would it know how to convert it as such?

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor brenta
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: IP Conversation methods

Jump to solution

IPv4 addresses can be expressed as an (un)signed 32 bit integer.

IP addresses are stored as integers in the database rather than strings because of size efficiency. The C reference for these functions can be found here;

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=inet_aton

inet_aton = address to number

inet_ntoa = number to address

Similarly, 32-bit integers can be represented as 8 hexadecimal characters. (0xFFFFFFFF -> 255.255.255.255)

Brent
3 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

IPv4 addresses can be expressed as an (un)signed 32 bit integer.

IP addresses are stored as integers in the database rather than strings because of size efficiency. The C reference for these functions can be found here;

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=inet_aton

inet_aton = address to number

inet_ntoa = number to address

Similarly, 32-bit integers can be represented as 8 hexadecimal characters. (0xFFFFFFFF -> 255.255.255.255)

Brent

Jump to solution

Is there any built in method of converting Hexadecimal to IP address? Or must I convert it outside the ESM system and then import it back int?

@brenta 

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Good question, I'm not sure if the parsers have specific functions to do these conversions. I'd assume you can just map them to a IP address field (after they have been parsed) and the SIEM should just take care of it. 

I took a look at the built in NetScaler parsers, and I do not see anything special done to capture and map the data. If you have a sample log entry, I might be able to give a more definite answer.

Brent
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community