cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Horizontal SMB Scan

Hi,

My SIEM is alerting me a "Recon - Horizontal SMB Scan - Events or Flows" , there is no malware detected as I scan the endpoint in suspicion of wannacry ransomware, is this a false positive?. Below is the sample packet capture, I've edited some of the info for privacy purposes.

<189>date=date time=time devname="Firewall" devid="FG1K" logid="0000000013" type="traffic" subtype="forward" level="notice" vd="root" eventtime=1545746497 srcip=xx.xx.xx.xx srcport=51856 srcintf="LAN" srcintfrole="lan" dstip=x.x.x.x dstport=445 dstintf="LAN" dstintfrole="lan" sessionid=1099522634 proto=6 action="deny" policyid=0 policytype="policy" service="SMB" dstcountry="Reserved" srccountry="Reserved" trandisp="noop" duration=0 sentbyte=0 rcvdbyte=0 sentpkt=0 appcat="unscanned" crscore=30 craction=131072 crlevel="high" devtype="Router/NAT Device" mastersrcmac="X:0x:x:fx:fd:xx" srcmac="x:x:e3:x:x:x" srcserver=0

3 Replies
McAfee Employee mherr
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Horizontal SMB Scan

You should review the host and determine if this is expected activity. 

By default this rule detects connections from a source IP to 10 distinct internal destination IPs in 10 minutes over tcp ports 137, 139, 445.  

These rules need to be tuned for your environment.  Is the source IP a scanner, asset management system, etc?  You may need to exclude it from the rule or you may need to adjust the thresholds.

So it cannot be determined by looking at the packet alone. I guess I still need to dive deeper on the computer activity or rather increasing the threshold of the alert. Thanks

Reliable Contributor David1111
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Correct!

Mherr is right.

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.