Did you mean: 
minki
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

ESM upgarde failure

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade ESM VM in my lab from 9.6.0 to 10.1.3 but getting ETM upgrade failure message due to unsupported hardware ATA:1 and HWRAID:1.

I am using Oracle Virtual Box on MAC.Do any one facing the same issue and know the fix.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor akerr
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Re: ESM upgarde failure

Jump to solution

While it is unsupported, it's possible it's related to an issue we're having and Engineering is reviewing.  We run our environment on Linux KVM and after 10.0, we've been unable to upgrade due to a missing driver in the ramdisk.  There are a couple things you could try to get it working for the time being.  The first is to try different setting for the virtual disk.  I'm not familiar with Virtual Box, but try changing the drive type.  We typically run ours as VirtIO in KVM, but part of the driver for that is missing.  If we switch to IDE, we can boot, but there's a performance hit.  The other option is to boot with a previous version of the kernel.  Neither are long term solutions, but if you're just trying to get a lab to run to look at the new features/fixes, this may help.

6 Replies
McAfee Employee andy777
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

I think you're running into a support issue. VirtualBox is not a supported hypervisor and that message appears when the code doesn't recognize the hardware.

If you had this error on an appliance, it would mean that the BIOS had been wiped and the fix would be to RMA the hardware. Good thing it's your lab!

Reliable Contributor akerr
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

While it is unsupported, it's possible it's related to an issue we're having and Engineering is reviewing.  We run our environment on Linux KVM and after 10.0, we've been unable to upgrade due to a missing driver in the ramdisk.  There are a couple things you could try to get it working for the time being.  The first is to try different setting for the virtual disk.  I'm not familiar with Virtual Box, but try changing the drive type.  We typically run ours as VirtIO in KVM, but part of the driver for that is missing.  If we switch to IDE, we can boot, but there's a performance hit.  The other option is to boot with a previous version of the kernel.  Neither are long term solutions, but if you're just trying to get a lab to run to look at the new features/fixes, this may help.

minki
Level 9
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Much Thanks for the help Andy and Akerr,

I was able to upgrade the ESM after change to SCSI controller to IDE controller.

Jump to solution

Hello,

bringing topic again...

Have the same issue but we are upgrading form 11.0.3 to 11.1.2. After performing upgrade nothing happens. We have found the article about ESM upgrade issue when nothing happens, and we did everything as it says there.

Article: KB79275

In /var/log/update.log we have same message:

The drive configuration is incorrect (NotOk Unsupported drive configuration. ( ATA:-1 - HWRAID:-1 )):

The combo box is on Hyper-v 2016 and IDE controller.

Any idea?

Thanks

Dimm
Level 9
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

I have a lab on Virtual Box and upgrade was also not applying.
Again, it was a lab, on VM, not prod system. Do it at your own risk 😉

cat /sys/block/sda/device/model and save output (in my case on VirtualBox it was HARDDISK literally)

unpack tgz upgrade file or open tgz update file in vi
vi your.tgz

find file drivetest

find the line
} elsif ( $vendor =~ /VMware/i

add your HARDDISK vendor and model 
} elsif ( $vendor =~ /VMware/i || $vendor =~ /HARDDISK/ || $model =~ /HARDDISK/) {

save it

stop cpservice/dbserver and execute upgrade (either by putting tgz into folder and reboot appliance or run ess-update.sh from update folder)

Jump to solution

We have hyper-v under ESM. So, the problme was in the drivetest file. The solution:

go to /usr/local/ess/update/updates
take backup of drivetest file

modify the following line in "drivetest":

} elsif ( $vendor =~ /VMware/i || $vendor =~ /0x1af4/i || $model =~ /VBOX/i || $vendor =~ /xen/) {

To look like this:

} elsif ( $vendor =~ /VMware/i || $vendor =~ /0x1af4/i || $model =~ /VBOX/i || $vendor =~ /xen/ || $vendor =~ /Msft/) {

The added thing is suport of Msft (hyper-v).

Hope it helps to someone.

Cheers

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center