Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

ESM and ELM data backup for disaster recovery

Hi,

Currently I am running 1 ESM 6000 with 8TB Data  and 2 ELM 5600 with 3TB and 7TB each.

I want to backup data ESM & ELM using NAS device for disaster recovery and minimize the downtime during backup.

I know there is 2 ways for this. One is configuring redundant ESM and mirroring ELM and another one

is using backup and restore using external storage device such as NAS.

Would you let me know how do I configure incremental backup for ESM and ELM ?

Thanks a lot

3 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: ESM and ELM data backup for disaster recovery

Hi,

Yes you can configure ESM Redundant till 10.4.0 SIEM version but from 11.x SIEM version we have ESM  clustering and for more details you can refer below link;

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/enterprise-security-manager-11.2.x-installation-guide/page/GUID-6D03A...

Also, in 11.3.0 SIEM version there are 2 backups you can configure on your NAS drive which is given in below link;

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/enterprise-security-manager-11.1.x-product-guide/page/GUID-4F1E06A9-1...

For ELM, we don't recommend ELM mirroring rather mirroring you can configure ELM redundant.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 3 of 4

Hi, amarati,

I appreciate your prompt reply.

In documentation, ELM backup function can backup only ELM configuration files such as database and configuration environment data and for backup logging data, use mirroring function.

If so, Should I add another ELM server for mirroring ?

Currently I have 2 ELM Server and in this case, May I configure 2 existing ELM Server to 1 new ELM server mirroring ?

Thanks a lot

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

I would suggest to use ELM redundant rather than mirroring.

Mirroring does not create a backup of the storage pool. It creates a mirrored file system that uses both storage devices as the basis for the file system.

The result will not be two copies of data, but one copy of data managed by two storage devices. If certain conditions are not met, such as the necessary storage and bandwidth required to accommodate such a set up, the process will fail spectacularly.

Back up current Enterprise Log Manager (ELM) settings so that you can restore them in case of a system failure or data loss. All configuration settings, including the ELM logging database, are saved.

The actual logs that are stored on the ELM are not backed up.
Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community